Waterless Wash any good?...

davey_83

I'm a bit surprised Ilogial1 or Ricey hasn't jumped in yet!!

Ask and ye shall receive. :lol:

Still find it hard to believe a fifteen quid bottle of stuff has such advanced chemical properties that dirt cannot in no way touch the bodywork when trapped between a microfibre pressed against...but hey Im a cynical type by nature.

It's actually no more advanced to the chemicals found in Fairy Liquid, which is at £12 cheaper for the bottle... (which is also the stuff that'll get [wrongly] recommended to strip off old LSPs too by the way). As Ricey says, the surfactants merely facilitate the loosening of dirt making it easier to remove. Except you're still left with the task of physically removing that looser dirt. It's a similar theory (although different execution) to pre-washing, except with pre-washing you tend to rinse off rather than wipe off so that loose dirt is washed away with the water rather than (ideally) lifted off with a cloth.

I'll see if I can get an old panel from a scrappy - black would be best...and do a test.....

ONR is one of those products where people who like it swear by it and claim anyone who doesn't get along with it isn't using it "properly". As Ricey says, fillers masks a lot of the sins inflicted, at least for a short time. If you do a test make sure you check before and after doing an IPA wipedown after the test to check for those fillers.

As with anything detailing, there's a technique to getting the best out waterless washes in general; that technique seems to be to use a lot of product, a fresh microfibre cloth every 2 inches and apply no pressure at all. Preferably on a clean car. That's white or silver. With hard paint. And a bad light source.

For the record I've tried ONR and a few other waterless washes in the past and put it this way; I don't have the option of washing the Z with water where I currently live so it's not been clean in months. I'd rather live with a filthy car than not wash it properly.

• Like 1