Car value tracking over time

Flex

I think if past prices were a guide to future rises then we would all be millionaires pretty soon ;) Ultimately it will cost you £xxxx to insure, tax, fuel, maintain and run each year so its so hard to make money unless it appreciates at that same cost + inflation each year. I sold my 350z, VX220, Skyline for more than I paid for them, but paid out more than the appreciation in insurance/tax/servicing.

If its sat on the drive it has to be insured at a minimum. If you want it to be worth something you have to maintain it (battery charging, suspension will seize if left idle, on older Jap cars the various internals will fail such as seals drying out if not used etc.) So you are paying out a minimum £500 a year if SORN'd. If you are looking at a £10k car then you have to hope that the car appreciates at least 5% per year to cover the cost. Plus the 2-3% average inflation rate the appreciation needs to cover. I think Flex is driving the car though even if sporadically (doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to stick it in a glass case) so it will need taxing, fuel, servicing plus adding miles will depreciate the value of the car - this will count against what you 'make' on the car.

I left insurance out of the list of pure investment requirements for that reason.

There's no doubt that you generally lose money just by owning a car, which is why they are rarely good investments (unless you have a rare Ferrari or such). However, as those costs are inevitable for any car, and the primary objective is just to minimise loss from depreciation, it doesn't seem worth acknowledging them.

Basically, it's not a case of whether to get another car, but which car to get, and for that, the only important factor is de/appreciation.

Edited by Strudul

Stated objective was to not lose money, not minimise loss (ref post number 25). Which is why I mentioned up top that you have to take any ownership costs into account, especially as other cars are owned and could be used in its place.

Flex also says he cant justify keeping 4 cars because of this, hence the desire to get something that is worth a 4th car. So not a requirement at all, just that the car makes money or at least breaks even to make it worth while. Personally I would be surprised if the 33s do climb in value as the 32s are becoming more desirable so I think its a fair shout by him to question whether its worth holding onto it and just sticking with the 3 cars. Although he does owe me a spin in it before he does sell!

Yes dont get hung up on insurance and general running costs.

CD- see you're going above and beyond here I owe you 2 spins in the GTR :)

ATM everything close to mine for sale is around £15k+, I reckon I could sell a few of the bits on it for £700-1000, that would give me a profit of about £6k but I think I've been lucky in buying at the right time and Irish road tax being about 1500 euros.

Edited by Flex

I remember you taking a punt and heading over there for it, must admit I probably wouldn't have, but hey doffs cap to braver guy who looks like he got a great deal :teeth: Just seems like I got to get over to East Anglia sooner rather than later though....see if your old Nissan can keep up with the Toyota :lol:

If i do flog her it will be August I reckon. If not next year, possibly. Lol.

Might just finance an r35 for a year. I wonder if Alex could loan me his for a few months?

Oh god, I dont know it's just all pie in the sky atm.

Will have to both get to a local ish meet this year and meet up.

Shalom.

Edited by Flex