How Crap Are My Tyres?

Strudul

Late reply I know, but I totalled my first Z on the M1, I was driving at about 50mph in the snow. Casually going along with no problems at all, next thing I know the car in the lane next to me pulls across into my lane to overtake the person in front of them. Their drivers door was about to hit my front wing so I instinctively swerved to the right onto the outside lane to avoid the collision. Unfortunately the sharp steering input mixed with budget tyres and the road conditions made the rear end snap out on me, I tried my hardest to catch it. The sudden snap of the rear end in the opposite direction was completely unexpected and I spiralled down the motorway and ended up front end in the armco next to the hard shoulder, that threw the car round and buried the rear end into it too. Would decent tyres have saved me? Probably not, but I'm certain the crash wouldn't have been as bad if I'd got a decent set on. I was driving with a safe distance to the car in front, I wasn't over tired, I wasn't driving erratically, someone scared me and I made a mistake under pressure.

I've just spent £650 on 4 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's for the rays and after 1500 miles, I'm not convinced they're a worthwhile tyre over the summer options... I dread to think what the crap you've got on must be like to drive on. Never compromise on rubber! You might wind up sliding into a bush and having a baby....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk