Smart Stuff, Internet of Things, Home Automation

Stutopia

I'm having loads of problems with Apples Hime app.

I have Hues around my house and all set to come on at certain times and when I arrive home. Since I have gone over to using the Home app exclusively it has hardly worked at all. The Phillips app is garbage too.

Also waiting on home kit enabled light switches and sockets. Why these weren't the 1st products to come out i will never know. I have an outside light I want to control but a hue bulb won't fit

I had a play with the Home app after reading your post. At first I couldn't get to grips with it, I know everything is supposed to be intuitive these days but occasionally I wouldn't mind some instructions :lol:

However, once I got my Apple TV set up as the automation hub, it all started to make sense and now I've binned off the Philips Hue apps altogether :yahoo:

Thanks for nudge to use the Home app :thumbs:

http://www.imore.com/how-make-your-apple-tv-or-ipad-home-hub

Let me know how you get on with it. I'm not having any luck with the automations

I have samsung smart things at home, had it for ages now. I mainly use it with hidden wireless door sensors on all the entry doors to the house & some motion sensors just to alert me as to whats going on. Not got around to linking it to light bulbs or that kind of thing yet. I have got a presence sensor which I can leave in the wifes car so I know when shes home or not. Quite funny getting an alert to say shes just pulled in the drive before she`s even put her key in the front door - gives me chance to hide anything she shouldnt see before she walks in. :lol:

When on holiday its handy as you know exactly what time people arrive and go. The cat feeding woman we use when on holiday was there each day for exactly the amount of time she said she would. However, the cleaner who claimed she used to do 2 hours a day was actually only doing 1hr 30, but still charging us for the full amount.

I have also got the outside floodlights connected to it, so I can hit a button on my phone and the entire garden and drive light up like theres been a prison break.

You can add pretty much anything to it, like lights which come on as soon as you open your front door, or even have a digital door lock so as soon as it detects your phone is in the area it unlocks your front door etc... vibration sensor on the washing machine to tell you when its finished etc... all pretty costly though, so ive not ventured into doing too much.

• Like 1

Love the idea of being able to flood the whole complex (it sounds better than house!) with (blue flashing) lights at the touch of a button. Also knowing which entry points are open. Wife tracker sounds ideal, almost worth getting a wife for in the first place :lol:

• Like 1