Compression Test

OliverB

Hi guys,

So, following some good advice from Adrian at Torqen (among others), it is time to do a compression test. The aim is to figure out where all my oil is going. This can be done with standard tools that I own, however I don't have a compression gauge yet.

I have almost zero experience in terms of vehicle mechanics, something I'm hoping to change. For now though, would anyone be kind enough to help me out?

I'm based in Milton Keynes.

If I can get my oil issue sorted and get that warm fuzzy feeling, I'll hang on to the car, maybe build the engine and make a proper project of it, learn the craft as I go. That's the dream anyway :)

Link to a compression test walk-through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6QShFmsEdn4

A dry compression test as per the video will not provide the information that you require to establish if the piston oil rings are worn or broken.

The compression test will only provide the condition of the compression rings or valves which have absolutely nothing to do with oil consumption.

Supra, I'll try and make it down, although I've got a work event this evening that supposedly ends at 9 (in Luton). I'll try and get out early and give you a call.

My concern for doing it tonight is A) I don't have the compression gauge yet, B) the lighting at the stadium isn't great!

ZMANALEX, what would you suggest?

Compression check will not show up the oil control rings failing. The top 2 compression rings will be sealing fine. Cylinder leakage test will again not show up oil usage due to oil usage.

The oil control rings lose there tension so are unable to scrap the oil from the bores. Common problem on our V6's the Rev up is the worse culprit.