EML & fault code P0300

davey_83

Very wet and windy Saturday morning waiting for my mate at a local Shell garage before setting off for JAE. Put some fuel in and goes to pull away and while waiting at the side of the forecourt, engine running the engine starts to hunt and the eml comes on. Thought great!! Why today off all days.

Turned the engine off for a bit and re started to which the light came on again. Quick drive home for my code reader and it brings up P0300. I know the fuel had ran down pretty low that week ie 30 miles DTE. Didn’t want to lift the bonnet as it was hammering down.

I took a picture of the screen and erased the code relating to multiple misfires detected? Managed to get to the show ok as that early and on the motorways and A46 i didn’t need to come to a stop very often luckily. Checked the MPG and it displayed 23 mpg for the easy journey NOT GOOD, still no eml since being cleared. That evening at the show as it was now dry I had the bonnet up to have a good look round as you do, in the hope that i could see something obvious. One of my orange hoses going from the PCV to the catch can had split 60% around the circumference. I thought ok that something at least, made the hose shorter for now and refitted. Car idles as it should and drove alot better. Got home and the display for the return journey showed a resetted value of 33mpg so back to wear it is normally at least.

Apart from using a stronger vacuum designed hose, is there anything i need to look out for reference the code that was stored in the ecu? Not seen the EML in the 12 months ive owned the car thus far.

David

I had a similar issue...

One day all Was fine, I popped down and got some fuel, I was also was quite low, about the same as yours. I went to leave and only had 5 out of 6 cylinders running, but about 10 sec into pulling away and idling it kicked back in.

Over the next two weeks it would randomly drop a cylinder. When the problem was present I chased the problem around multiple cylinders pulling the packs out.. Finally but the bullet and bought 6 new coil packs and Hey Presto - sorted.

I guess also check for the usual leaky oil rocker cover gasket in Cyl. 6.

I Had P0300 random misfire code and sometimes also a flashing EML which I think meant that the issue was potentially causing damage to the cats as I assume the fuel from the dropped cylinder poured into the cats.

It can be caused by a vacuum failure or a sticky PCV though so you might be fine.. I Guess see what happens mate.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue right now. P0300 random misfire. Checked the coils and replaced the sparks. Compression on all 6 cylinders is fine. Being told there could be a timing issue.

Anyone had timing issues from this code and if so what should I do next?

• Like 1