Should I get an oil cooler???

Lowrcase

I know the basic answer is YES but there is an actual reason I ask! My car has recently clocked over to 101k miles & has had some work done on the engine including a remap. Now I'm starting to get the dreaded spark plug/coil pack death syndrome. Cylinder 1 has started to misfire! I put new plugs in along with all new fluids just before the remap a couple of months ago. I've got new standard plugs ordered & gonna swap them out as a matter of course anyhoo but I got a feeling it's the coil pack! Was speaking to a tuner dude yesterday & he said Nissans engines, along with a lot of other brands, run hotter after remapping so are more likely to burn out the sensitive electrical gubbins. Especially on high milers! Now I know he ain't on about water/coolant temp as they are fine but also its oil that circulates around the heads. So if I spunk out £366 on a Mishimoto oil cooler kit am I still gonna cook the shizzle out of my packs or will that be enough oil cooling to save them? Also it looks cool a fook man!

Absolutely no reason to get an oil cooler unless the engine is highly tuned N/A and i mean race spec, or used as a track toy full time, or it turbo charged, If its supercharged its no always necessary unless your seeing oil temperatures of over 120c on a regular basis.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Must admit I set myself a little oil cooler challenge. If I could get an oil cooler fitted with no leaks and do a track day I'd go forced induction! That was about 2 years ago. Still not gone forced induction :(

oil cooler working well but currently pointless.

Sent on the move, excuse any typos :)