Battery drain after engine refurb

sam.mitchell86

Hi all 3 weeks ago I blew my engine in my 05 350. Lacking in work I rebuilt the main ends and all rings guides ect 😅. All back in car and test drove sounds great drives great but have a crazy battery drain. I have disconnected starter and alternator also the two big cables that piggyback the battery connector. It drains in 2 minutes mega drain drives fine thow no lights on dash or burning smell 😞 Please help me solve this

Hi thanks not sure wat car voltmeter says will jump start it tomoz and see car drives fine no probs but when I turn engine off it kills battery in 2 mins. Ive charged battery and tried a different one of another vehicle. If u put a fully charged 13.00 volt it soon as I connect the terminal it drains it to 8 and falls to 4 or 5 in 2 minutes. This happens with iginition on or off. Wher the positive cable bolts on ther is a 1 gray and 1 black connector all four contacts inside thes connectors (2 in each) are draining battery when I link to pos post

Edited by sam.mitchell86

You need to separate the (4) cables from the connector that goes to the +ve post and identify which one is causing the short circuit.

After separating each cable stab one at a time, back onto the battery +ve post, and the one that excessively sparks and splatters has the short circuit.

Did you not notice any of these cables heating up or burning when you re-connect?

Some serious current flowing there to flatten the battery in a few minutes!!

Sounds like you have a major short, check the starter motor and solenoid, it could be a shorting or stuck solenoid, even though its starting OK it still could be that, although any major shorts should in theory blow the main fuse link at the battery, worth checking that somebody hasn't bodged that.

If all was well before the engine rebuild I would check all the electrical connections you disturbed during that process, as you would be very unlucky to get an unrelated major issue like that unconnected with the rebuild IMO. Maybe one of the main wires is pinched and shorting and not sure if the engine earth not properly connected might be the cause - the latter issue has been reported in the past on here more than once?

Searching for some info the post pinched from another forum below throws up ideas that might help you.

This is one of numerous very simple ways to explain it:

a. Every electrical component in you car, even a light bulb, has to have a negative and a positive connection to the battery for it to work. The negative pole (-) of your battery is connected to the chassis of your vehicle, and this is the ground you are referring to.

b. Lets say that you have a lightbulb in your car. For this lightbulb to energize (turn ON), it must be connected to both the positive and the ground side of your vehicle. Remember that the negative pole is connoted to the chassis of you vehicle, and that this chassis is the "ground" side.

c. So, one lead or wire is connected to the positive side of the battery, and the other lead is connected to the vehicle's chassis. However, since the metallic frame (ribs, etc.) of your vehicle is grounded to the chassis, you can have grounding points throughout the vehicle. Even the motor is grounded to the chassis via a grounding strap. The electricity that powers all of the electrical components in your vehicle travels out the positive side of the battery, through each electrical component, then through the chassis and ground points, back into the battery through the negative pole.

d. If a grounding strap, or any grounding point is loose, the electrical components affected can't work because the circuit is broken (open). In your case a "ground problem" could be a loose, or corroded, or broken ground wire or grounding point. Since the ground lead (wire) usually has a wire terminal, check this terminal to make sure it's clean and secure on the grounding area.

well people this morning I woke up fresh minded Did the my test to c if I still had a drain issue and it had fixed itself🤔 So I plugged start alternator ect back on and that was it its finished hopefully it was a water issue as it rained when it was stripped down. Nice to know this forum works thow thanks so much for ur posts. I'm so lucky engine runs sweet no spare bolts or rattles. Blue smoke gone and somone did the timing chain before me and retarded it by 1 tooth so now better than ever

Well done for getting that sorted out Sam. Water or not its still a right PIA when you go through all that work expecting it to turn on the key only to find that you have a gremlin that has moved in through no fault of your own. Here's to happy smoke free motoring. :)