Instrument Cluster Lighting

Erni902

Right guys, one of my pet hates is having a nice decent looking modern car that looks great in the daytime but then when it gets dark and you switch the lights on all you can see is a dingy outdated looking orange glow that IMO ruins the look and feel of a car.

To combat this look and feel I am going to be replacing all the interior bulbs such as those in the dome/map light, the cargo bulb etc to bright white LED boards. So this is easy to do and fairly inexpensive so Im happy with that.

The next step is to then address the instrument cluster. Now this is where it gets more difficult as the bulbs behind the dials are actually LED's that are soldered onto the PCB inside the cluster. My question is does anyone know what colour these LED's are as standard? I know they seem to illuminate orange but the markings on the dials themselves are orange and not clear. So I am wondering if the LED's are orange aswell or if they are clear/white but appear orange due to the tint on the dials. If this is the case then its fairly simple and inexpensive to get some quality custom dials made up with clear/white markings to sit over the top to improve the look.

If however the stock LED's are orange in colour then this will mean changing both the dials and all the corresponding LED's for the colour of choice. This could turn out to be expensive if paying someone else to do it but cheaper if you have the soldering skills yourself (its not hard when your used to it but can be daunting the first time you do it especially seen as if you mess it up you will need a new cluster) however it will still be a PITA due to the size of the legs on the LED's.

Either way this is a project I will be embarking on myself but without having a spare cluster to mess about with and not being able to remove my working set as its my daily I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone knew. I know a couple of people have done similar projects themselves but that was mainly changing the colours to red or blue etc instead of just white.

Any help/tips appreciated.

They are smd LEDs so it's not legs as such more pads which can be a pita.

I've actually got the kit ready to go in but not gotten round to it yet.

127807ca4b62dc06f24e1be30b1a447d.jpg

7bfa46c5986f6e274eec0e0f6b7706cf.jpg

I meant to say pads but couldnt think of the word so just put legs haha.

Any details of where you got those dials from mate, was it from the US or within the UK? Also were the LED's included in the kit aswell? I do like the look of those. Saying that I love the look of your Zed mate very unique and looking amazing!

They are smd LEDs so it's not legs as such more pads which can be a pita.

I've actually got the kit ready to go in but not gotten round to it yet.

127807ca4b62dc06f24e1be30b1a447d.jpg

7bfa46c5986f6e274eec0e0f6b7706cf.jpg

I meant to say pads but couldnt think of the word so just put legs haha.

Any details of where you got those dials from mate, was it from the US or within the UK? Also were the LED's included in the kit aswell? I do like the look of those. Saying that I love the look of your Zed mate very unique and looking amazing!

Cheers mate. I picked them up from the states when I was on holiday but they deliver to the uk.

The LEDs and faces were separate but not to expensive.

Check out blackcatcustoms

Cheers mate. I picked them up from the states when I was on holiday but they deliver to the uk.

Ah right ok. I have been looking and only found Blackcatcustoms ones so just wondered if there were some UK suppliers kicking about as the customs charge will probably end up more than the bits haha. Cheers for the info mate

Ah right ok. I have been looking and only found Blackcatcustoms ones so just wondered if there were some UK suppliers kicking about as the customs charge will probably end up more than the bits haha. Cheers for the info mate

Yeah blackcatcustoms seemed the only place when I was looking. They are a real nice bunch though and if you email them direct I'm sure the would be able to send the units as a gift as to keep import charges down or even nil

Yeah blackcatcustoms seemed the only place when I was looking. They are a real nice bunch though and if you email them direct I'm sure the would be able to send the units as a gift as to keep import charges down or even nil

Just for future reference, "gifts" are now subject to import duty too. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just for future reference, "gifts" are now subject to import duty too. :thumbs:

Sorry dude only just seen this post. Thats a shame, I will have to get them shipped to my relatives in West Virginia and get them to smuggle them over in their luggage when they visit next.

Wow Deb 16 times in 20 months?? Not surprised you got rid