Suggestions for a SUV for NYC?

Banz

Getting rid of the 350Z soon and so my missus say I need a "practical car" when I move to the states. I'm looking at under $10k so it will be an old car. ~10 years.

Roads are pretty bad there, would be stuck in traffic most of the time.

I'm thinking of.

Porsche Cayenne

Lexus RX450h

Infiniti SUV??

What are my other options?

I'm leaning towards the Lexus because of the comfort and the reliability. But I really hate the body roll on it and was hoping Cayenne would give me a better handling and ride.

Edited by Banz

remember America is land of the excess and home of the petrol - so whatever you buy must be V8 minimum, and petrol. and if you're moving to America you've gotta embrace the scene, so maybe a Cadillac escalade or a hummer or something. plus buy American and it will be cheaper/have better repair network if something goes wrong.

I spoke to a few Uber drivers while I was there. They told me Cadillac and Chrysler makes shitty car that breaks down easily. Most of the american cars are @*!# and expensive. Whereas the Japanese cars like Toyota/Lexus are very good and last forever.

German cars retain their value better but can be expensive when they break down.

Cayenne, wouldn't even consider anything else. It'll do cruising, it'll do comfort, it'll do prestige, and it'll do being flung around should you ever get the opportunity.

put Porsche badge on anything and you would drive it :lol:

• Like 1

Cayenne, wouldn't even consider anything else. It'll do cruising, it'll do comfort, it'll do prestige, and it'll do being flung around should you ever get the opportunity.

put Porsche badge on anything and you would drive it :lol:

That's because they're the best :p:lol:

I've never driven a Cayenne nor been in one. I really want to see whether it drives better than a Lexus. I guess most people would say yes for sure!

Am sure a Cayenne would drive better, but your talking about a SUV, and no one does comfort better than Lexus. The 450h is best selling car Lexus do, and the single reason why Lexus is level pegging with BMW and Mercedes in terms of sales in the US.

Also don't forget about reliability, Lexus is basically Toyota, the cars just dont break, the 450h is as likely to break down as a Priuis. I have no idea how reliable a $10k Porsche of any kind is.

Edited by gangzoom

Also don't forget about reliability, Lexus is basically Toyota, the cars just dont break, the 450h is as likely to break down as a Priuis. I have no idea how reliable a $10k Porsche of any kind is.

From what I can find on craiglist (gumtree equivalent). http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=cayenne&max_price=10000

There are plenty of Cayenne under $10k but it is as you said. Don't know how reliable they are.

Keep away from the turbo (coolant pipe leak) and the air suspension (frightfully expensive to replace), and they're as reliable as anything else that age.

It also doesn't have any tricky hybrid systems to go wrong...

+1 for the cayenne. Previous to my 370z I had a cayenne turbo for a couple of years. 4.5l twin turbo, 450bhp, it was an awesome car.

It was an 11 year old car when I sold it, yet in the 2 years of my ownership never gave a moments bother, it was 100% reliable. As mentioned above the coolant pipes can fracture, but I found that a lot of them had been upgraded from the original plastic to aluminium then there's no more worry.

It also handled surprisingly well for the size and weight of it. If you put it in sport mode it firms right up and gives very little body roll, then if you drop the air suspension to its lowest setting you can chuck it round corners pretty well. But you've got the added bonus of 'normal' or 'comfort' settings if you don't want a rock hard ride all the time.

I would happily buy another cayenne without any hesitation, oh and the turbo (or turbo S if you can find one) IS the model to go for.

Keep away from the turbo (coolant pipe leak) and the air suspension (frightfully expensive to replace), and they're as reliable as anything else that age.

The Toyota hybrid system is far more reliable than any turbo engine. There is a reason why every other minicab you see is a prius. And in the US there countless companies that will refurb the battery pack for $500 dollars.

The Toyota hybrid system is far more reliable than any turbo engine. There is a reason why every other minicab you see is a prius. And in the US there countless companies that will refurb the battery pack for $500 dollars.

The Toyota hybrid system is far more reliable than any turbo engine. There is a reason why every other minicab you see is a prius. And in the US there countless companies that will refurb the battery pack.

Edited by gangzoom