Speed Camera Detector

dangerman

so what you are saying is they dont pick up scatter 100 - 500 meters down the road from where they are targeting other people down the road, the only way they pick anything up is when the thing is pointed at the actual detector in your car.

that makes them pretty pointless if thats all they do.

Radar detectors are simply alarms to tell you that you have been zapped. They don't give you any time to get your speed down, because the signal has already gone back to the gun by the time your brain has even registered the alarm. They are there as a gimick, no more, and the manufacturers never claim they are there for anything specific. :)

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting an old thread in case anyone has any more views on this. Just picked up my first points in 20 years driving after being zapped by an unmarked car. Completely my fault so no moaning from me.

I'm not expecting that a detector would have saved me on this occasion but as I'm now quarter of the way to a ban I thought I'd better get something to warn me of potential "cash machines". Any further recommendations? Not really bothered about laser for the reasons above.

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, just been reading through this old thread and would like to add my recent install.

Its a Laser Star XR Parking sensor which also operates on the same wavelength as Laser Speed Cameras. If it detects a laser from a camera then it sends a laser beam back which diffuses the speed which then gives you enough time to slow down and switch your Jammer off. Don't want to arouse too much suspicion!!!!! Anyway, the main reason I bought a sensor was that I was paranoid I was going to crack the front of my new Vertex Aero kit and after a bit of research I found this unit. It is completely legal I got it from roadnetuk.com and have integrated the controls into the little panel by the rearview mirror. I have an imported Z and the panel was for Auto DJ and Carwings which was not being used since I have upgraded the Nav system.

It hasn't been used in anger yet but it has been really helpful when parking though.

It was a tricky wee install but I am chuffed with it.

I've attached a few pics of the install.

BT2 with LRC100 ;) Jammers wont help you with fixed camera if you are speeding. They jam mobile devices, like the vans and police sat at road side with speed camera` etc. THe jammer absorbs the camera rays for a set amount of time, thus not allowing the rays to bounce back and give a speed reading. The jammer can be set at anything between 5 seconds and 45 seconds (I think). Depends how long it takes you to slow down and how suspect you want to be to the copper trying to catch you........ :scare: This is only what I`ve heard and read, I dont have one....... Honest......... B)