Phenolic intake gasket

andybp

Hi guys have you seen the phenolic intake gasket made by cosworth

http://www.japspeed....gasket-kit.html

I liked the idea of these gaskets but didn't like the price also they are only 3mm and from what i've read the thicker gaskets perform much better so after some investigation into materials

I decided to make my own since I don't have a plenum spacer I've gone to 6mm instead of 3mm as used for the cosworth gaskets

I usually program directly in gcode for my CNC but it was a bit too fiddly to do by hand so had to use Cad which i don't like because I'm a bit of a Dinosaur

but after lots of measurements and a good few hours in front of a computer I have this

20160726_165413_zps51iuu86q.jpg

20160726_171646_zpskyyhovd1.jpg

20160726_172155_zpsua76sbfo.jpg

20160726_172136_zps9kljtpkv.jpg

if I charged myself for the time I spent in front of a computer to make this it would be very expensive but since I actually enjoy doing stuff like this all it cost was £20 and an hour on my milling machine

I might even get it fitted this week

:)

• Like 3

I love this kind of engineering. Wish I had the machinery, skill and time to carry out tasks like this. I imagine if you started making them for forum members you'll have people queuing up :)

I'd maybe consider making them but not until I've had it fitted to my car for a few months at least :)

• 2 weeks later...

20160805_163243_zpsycgowmmy.jpg

Only just got around to fitting this as I had to use longer studs and bolts but all fitted now doesn't feel any different but plenum is noticeably cooler which can't be a bad thing with the amount of time i spend with my head under the bonnet at the very least i'll stop burning myself on it :)

Spacers are usually 8mm but they come with 8 8mm spacers for the strut brace too. Just be careful it's not too close, there may be clearance when idle but under load it may touch.

Pretty sure it's ok as I've been driving it pretty hard and there was no knocking sounds or marks on either the plenum or strut brace :)

Spacers are usually 8mm but they come with 8 8mm spacers for the strut brace too. Just be careful it's not too close, there may be clearance when idle but under load it may touch.

Pretty sure it's ok as I've been driving it pretty hard and there was no knocking sounds or marks on either the plenum or strut brace :)

Good. You'd know if it were touching because there would be a horrible vibration and buzz under load.