Engine swap

bexxxhill

Not that I am looking to do so, but has anyone swapped out their Z engine for a V8 at all? I have seen a couple in the US with LS engines, but what about over here? What would it take? :)

How deep is your wallet, and I mean HOW deep!

Although, it all depends on your platform and what you wish to achieve.

91683B51-3829-41E3-A0BC-AD09E72E04E3_zps4evkpgwy.jpg

5356D0AC-7B1A-47CE-98E8-4F906B5C01CF_zpsr3azyixx.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for replying Wasso - not actually looking at doing so, just wondered what is possible. I have a 350GT at the moment which is above average mileage, and IF it ever needed a new engine I was pondering what would be the merits etc of transplanting a V8 over getting a rebuilt etc VQ :) Cost wise I would imagine getting a rebuilt and then tuned VQ would be infinitely easier/cheaper lol

Anything is possible, depending on funds.

You can LS swap a Zed on the cheap by using a LS1 or 2. Although it's the fabrication which is the pain. For simplicity a built VQ or standard VQ will give you the simplist route. Although it all depends on what you wish to achieve.

My specification was:

As new engine LS3 (when bought was only 2 years old and 10k miles) inclusive of Gearbox.

Fully pre designed LS fitting kit

The doors open considerably with this engine running a safe 550bhp and around 520ftlb of torque with intake, header and cam work. With the potential to FI in the future.

So, no matter what the cost I'm going in feet first. If I wanted to swap just because the engine is tired, then I'd either sell the car or go for a VQ swap. No bother rebuilding unless you have other plans.

• Like 1

:lol:

The engine has been out and in since then and is about to come out again :lol:

Lots of problems to address doing an engine swap like this - trust me I speak from experience :scare:

• Like 2

and is about to come out again

Whaaaa?? :(

I just think Chris likes using his tools. Whenever I'm there these issues never crop up. Swear he secretly enjoys pulling an engine.

You are right though Chris, it's not so much problems though, more obstacles that are a complete bitch (that's me putting it nicely)

• Like 1