Cameras

roasty

So I have a canon eos 600d with variable lenses and love it, it's great for Motorsport which is what I mainly photograph aswell as the odd wildlife excursions I do, but it's hard to always carry around which means I rarely take it out on my daily commutes so looking at getting a compact system (Sony A5000) to be precise.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune as it will only be used as a secondary camera.

So the question is have any of you guys used compact systems and what kind of results you getting from them? And any advise when buying 1?

Photo examples would be great with any info as to iso, f stop etc etc

My daughter uses a Sony RX-10 bridge with a smaller 1" sensor and the pic quality is excellent, so I imagine you wont have any issues with the 20MP APS-C as image quality will be comparable to your Canon.

As there is no viewfinder on the A5000 you'll have to compose the pics on the rear led screen, which you may find a problem doing in bright sunlight.

I have this problem with a Sigma compact I use, and sometimes I'm just guessing whats in the shot, its that bad..........worth considering before you buy.

Apart from that, it looks great value for money with lots of features included. :)

Yh that is 1 issue I was concerned about as I use the viewfinder on both my 600d and Fuji hs20exr (bridge) I've got used to it and rarely use the lcd screens although the next variant is the Sony a6000 but at an additional £300 I can't warrant it for the use of a viewfinder, hot shoe and 4 more million pixels.

I might just take the punt and spend a little extra on the 55mm-210mm f4.5-6.3 lens would be a good combo.

I traded in my 550D for a Olympus EM-5 Mark II. Love it, it's focuses just as quickly as my old 550D, better high ISO performance, lots more extra (wifi, touch screen etc), all in a package that whole lot smaller. Lens are cheaper too, picked up a Olympys 12-40mm (24-80mm 35mm equivalent) f2.8 Pro lens for half the price of a Cannon 'L' lens.

Sorry about the subject matter but most snaps these days are of one thing :).

Both f2.8

27986782826_14dfd05675_c.jpg

26988122481_cc0a4b8144_c.jpg

• Like 1

The Olympus has a much improved EVF.

Pity you cant buy a viewfinder for the Sony

You'll deffo miss it......just take it out when its cloudy! ;)

Haha yh viewfinder would be great on that cam and as for the cloudy days which ever I buy will be coming on my Florida trip in September or maybe I should just use it at night, be a good test for the low light conditions.

I traded in my 550D for a Olympus EM-5 Mark II. Love it, it's focuses just as quickly as my old 550D, better high ISO performance, lots more extra (wifi, touch screen etc), all in a package that whole lot smaller. Lens are cheaper too, picked up a Olympys 12-40mm (24-80mm 35mm equivalent) f2.8 Pro lens for half the price of a Cannon 'L' lens.

Sorry about the subject matter but most snaps these days are of one thing :).

Both f2.8

27986782826_14dfd05675_c.jpg

26988122481_cc0a4b8144_c.jpg

Very good quality images

Are these raw files or edited either way they have great contrast in colours and low noise from what I can see

Very good quality images

Are these raw files or edited either way they have great contrast in colours and low noise from what I can see

Believe it or not they are all JPEGs straight our of the camera!! No post processing at all.

If you haven't tried the electronic view finder on the Olympus systems your be surprised at how good they are. I could have never got this shot with my old 550D and optical view finder, even if i tried I would be blind in one eye now :lol: . But the EM-5 focused on the helicopter with no issues, despite the sun been directly behind.

24735437742_72dbd3b134_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Surely a compact plus the lenses you are likely to buy will not actually be that much small that the Canon? personally I cant see the point as it wont be long before you think you cant be bothered to take it out as it still isn't pocket sized. I wouldn't buy a bridge style camera for that reason and would instead buy a decent point and shoot to stuff in my pocket or even leave in the car

The size difference is very noticeable as well as weight.

With a small 'walk around' lens my EM-5 can be carried so much easier than my old 550d.

24232573025_eb046a2d92_z_d.jpg

Even with the f2.8 'pro' lens its lighter and smaller than the 550D. I had originally wanted to keep the 550d along side the EM-5, but the EM-5 is so good I've now sold all my old gear. These mirrorless systems are not bridge cameras, they are now at a point where they match/beat the performance of APS sensor cameras, with the added advantage of noticeably cheaper lens.

24147815145_9510273ac3_z_d.jpg

• Like 1