What to prepare for crossing to Calais?

Banz

Yeah, you gotta get used to that over this side of the pond. Severe lack of: people who know how to use roundabouts properly, people who indicate, knowledge of who has priority, etc...

I still can't find a good reason for the French method of people joining the roundabout have priority, surely that just creates gridlock on the roundabout rather than keeping it flowing? Odd...

Yeah, you gotta get used to that over this side of the pond. Severe lack of: people who know how to use roundabouts properly, people who indicate, knowledge of who has priority, etc...

I still can't find a good reason for the French method of people joining the roundabout have priority, surely that just creates gridlock on the roundabout rather than keeping it flowing? Odd...

I'm hoping that is sarcasm! haha. My worst encounter was with a French plate driver who was in front of me, started off to enter the roundabout, so I looked to the left to check oncoming traffic for me... only to look back (while rolling forward) to find this ***** has stopped again while 75% of his car is ON THE ROUNDABOUT. Rear-ended him and got screwed by insurance because it's legally "my fault" despite this utter tw@ abandoning his manoeuvre mid-way through it!

I'm hoping that is sarcasm!

Nope! For example, around the Arc de Triomphe the traffic to the right (joining the roundabout) has priority... it makes no sense to me!

I'm hoping that is sarcasm!

Nope! For example, around the Arc de Triomphe the traffic to the right (joining the roundabout) has priority... it makes no sense to me!

It's called 'zipping' i.e. the way roundabouts are supposed to work, one of the European concepts that us Brits don't get in general because of impatient/selfish driving habits.Similar to when a lane is closed off on a dual carrigeway and people in the inside lane don't let one car in front, if each person did it then the flow would work. :) (BTW, I drive in France a lot and they are terrible drivers in general - Ever see a French car without a dent or a kerb without rubber scuffing? :lol: ).