How to sell when SORN (test drives)

Pritchard

Hey guys,

so my car is SORN at the moment, and without insurance (still has MOT). been on driveway for 4-6 weeks.

just got back from an extended period overseas, so ready to sell the car to make room for its replacment. but, whats the best way of doing this?

If i take out a brand new policy just to sell it, im going to have to either cancel it once it goes OR my replaceement (which is arriving very soon!) will have to also be uninsured, as i can only have 1 policy on the go?

anywayway... waffling.

so i want to sell a car privately, people will want to test drive it. Tax isnt transferred between drivers now anyway. but whats best way to insurace for a short period of time?

Just got a price for a 28-day temp insurance and it was £300 more than last years annual (@ about £750!) wow.

i seem to recall HPI doing a free driveway insurance with their check thingy but looking online that seems to be valid from a dealer only as it is asking for a code.

thanks guys x

Ok take this scenario:

2 cars in household. One is SORN, car ''Z'' (no insurance). Other one has both me and missus as drivers, me as main policy holder. Car ''TT''

completing deal on new car tomorrow, car 'F', which means i need to take out a second policy on car F. Car TT is staying.

Perfect, this works. but then how to i sell Z?

The only option i could think of was to move the TT insurance to Z as a temporary 'courtesy car', like for repairs sort of thing. But that still poses issue of what to do if i need to extend it? I cant just transfer policy over to Z in full as that will require TT needing to be SORNED too. correct?

Such a ballache. shouldve sold it while still insured!

Edited by Pritchard

Depends on the insurer. Most allow 30 days, but some won't entertain the idea. You'll have to speak to them.

Failing that, you simply need to take out a full policy and then cancel when no longer required. Shouldn't cost more than a £100 or so, depending on insurer and their pro-rata policy. Either way, you'll need to get it taxed or take the risk of getting pinged by ANPR/police. If you price it correctly, it will sell.

• Like 1