My 3rd windscreen washer post...Advice Please.

Dicky

Recent previous posts I've made explain that neither my font or rear windscreen washers were working. Fault traced to the two front and back water pumps being siezed. I've now got them working but now getting very little water to the drivers side jets. Checked the inline non return valves which seem OK, pipe work ok but the flow from the jets seems weak compared to the passanger side which flows freely. I've cleaned the jets with a thin piece of wire so they seem OK. I'm now suspecting the inline none return valves may be damaged somewhat.

Anyway I've noticed, for the first time, that the passanger side wiper (Wiper arm marked RA) has to sets of jets either side of the wiper arm while the drivers side (marked RD) has only one.

Is this standard? Can some one check theirs for me please.

Following all these problems I'm convinced the culprit is the bottle of windscreen wash I bought from Tesco a little while back. Don't remember the name cos I've disposed of the bottle. It didn't say anywhere on the bottle if it was to be mixed with water, rather it implied to me anyway that it was ready to use. So take care otherwise you might end up where I am now.

Cheers

Previous posts on similar topics have suggested that it is best to remove the non return valve and replace with a straight connector. This improves water flow/pressure to the wiper jets.

I've also noticed that the passenger side wiper arm has 2 sets of nozzles, whilst the drivers side only has 1.

If your wash pumps are still working, it may be worthwhile to flush out the screenwash bottle with a hose. Bit messy but should flush out any remaining screenwash and sludge.

I understand that mixing some types of screenwash can result in gel deposits, so I now only use the same screenwash.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Your wiper nozzles are the same as mine (2+1).

I had the exact same problem and took the in line filter out, it works better than ever now.

I replaced the filter with a small plastic insert to join the two pies together (and some tape).

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Many thanks all. As it happens I did find the non return valve to be acting as a restriction and removed it, which made a huge difference.

I've not tried it since yesterday but will check to see if the water in the pipes has drained back creating a delay of water to the screen. If it's ok I'll leave it out. I have ordered another one just in case.

Didn't know that mixing screen wash could cause deposits, but it sounds reasonable and I have flushed the tank and pipe work out to get rid of all deposits.

Many thanks for all your input :)

Edited by Dicky