Buddyclub Vs Ears!

monkeybrain1234

So those of you who know me I have always really liked Squee's BuddyClub Exhaust sound since the Wales trip.

Finally I have bitten the bullet, got it fitted today, so the Scorpion is off now. :yahoo:

Kept the Original OEM Cats on and standard Y-Pipe. So only mid-section and rear cans are Buddyclub.

Verdict without Bungs:

Sounds brilliant, :teeth: really is loud and my ears are popping and ringing after only a 30 min drive! I stopped driving 2 hours ago - Stilling ringing in my ears!

The sound is lovely from outside, although quite droney inside, I was warned of this before buying it, need to play with the speed and revs to find the sweet spot for motorway cruising.

Verdict With Bungs:

Popped the silencers in and the sound is deeper and not so loud. Still sounds great, if anything better with the bungs in.

I use the Z as a daily so for the moment the bungs are staying in.

This next part might sound a little stupid, but hear me out. (Pardon the pun) :p

Has anyone bought an exhaust before and the noise makes their ears ring/pop for a while having driven it? Did it get better and your ears/hearing adapt to the sound and then stop ringing each time you drove the car? :scare:

Reason I ask is, sound works in waves and frequencies, so my logic is that my ears are probably not used to the new frequency of the BuddyClub, but give it a week or so for my ears to adapt and will it be okay? Not sure if the Logic is sound or not! :lol:

Glad you're enjoying the new exhaust!

Unfortunately ringing ears isn't down to getting used to specific sound frequencies. Its a symptom of temporary ear damage due to excessive decibel exposure - just the same as when you go to gigs. In the short term you won't do any permanent damage. In the long term you'll get some permanent hearing damage and possibly tinitus (a permanent ringing in the ears). The actual volume dictates how much exposure you'd need for that (I.e. whether you're talking months or years).

• Like 1

Cheers chaps. This is an odd feeling as even just on tickover with the bungs in my ears are popping away.

Think I have figured it out mind. Both mufflers are touching my esprit rear diffuser. This is glass fibre and I think the mufflers are resonating against the bodywork creating some super high pitched frequency which probably cannot be heard but is causing my ears havoc. Stuffed a cloth between the mufflers and bodywork and took it for a spin, it was 100 times better and just pure buddy club noise instead of popping ears. :yahoo:

Taking it back to bodyshop to sort it, either mount muffler higher or mod the diffuser at the bottom. A normal Z wouldnt suffer this as there is no diffuser. Think it's an odd situation but fairly sure it can be resolved. ( :surrender: as currently driving around with ear plugs, my long hair has come in handy to hide the bloody things otherwise I would look a right prat with ear plugs in) :lol:

Not good news!

The sound is still troubling my ears. Even just at idling let alone at full load. Ears just seem to pop all the time. And continues for hours after even a short drive.

Took to bodyshop and could not find any issues .

Anyone got any ideas, would really like to keep the buddy club on as it sounds great. Still convinced there is some funny frequency which is causing this. Thinking of hanging some weights on part of the exhaust and see the result.

Any suggestions would be great? If anyone locally knows what they would be looking for in a correctly fitted exhaust would really appreciate you taking a look at it. . .

Not good news!

The sound is still troubling my ears. Even just at idling let alone at full load. Ears just seem to pop all the time. And continues for hours after even a short drive.

Took to bodyshop and could not find any issues .

Anyone got any ideas, would really like to keep the buddy club on as it sounds great. Still convinced there is some funny frequency which is causing this. Thinking of hanging some weights on part of the exhaust and see the result.

Any suggestions would be great? If anyone locally knows what they would be looking for in a correctly fitted exhaust would really appreciate you taking a look at it. . .

I'm sorry that it wasn't so straightforward. Do you still have this problem with the bungs in?

• Like 1

I'm sorry that it wasn't so straightforward. Do you still have this problem with the bungs in?

Yep same popping even with bungs in. It really does not seem to be a loudness issue. More than comfortable with the loudness. Going to experiment packing some insulation etc tomorrow.

Sure I can sort this.

Hi Monkeybrain1234, have you got any pics of how the scorpion exhaust looked before with the diffuser and now with the Buddyclub?

Sorry to hear about your ears! Might have to consider wearing these each time your out in the zed....

http://www.aspli.com...CFRK3GwodIKgHVg

Lol. No joke I am wearing ear plugs all the time I drive it so I don't get the popping. Besides it's a daily and if I have to wear plugs trust me the exhaust is coming off.

Yep same popping even with bungs in. It really does not seem to be a loudness issue. More than comfortable with the loudness. Going to experiment packing some insulation etc tomorrow.

Sure I can sort this.

Hi Monkeybrain1234, have you got any pics of how the scorpion exhaust looked before with the diffuser and now with the Buddyclub?

Sorry to hear about your ears! Might have to consider wearing these each time your out in the zed....

http://www.aspli.com...CFRK3GwodIKgHVg

Lol. No joke I am wearing ear plugs all the time I drive it so I don't get the popping. Besides it's a daily and if I have to wear plugs trust me the exhaust is coming off.

How are things going with this now?

• Like 1

So have been experimenting with a few ideas. . .

And good news I have fixed it, although it's a temporary fix.

Got under the car and where the muffler was touching the rear splitter/apron I stuffed some rags between the splitter and the muffler. I was sure it was some resonance because of this. Since putting the rags under them properly (1 week) my ears have had no trouble at all. Even took the bungs out for last couple of days and no issues.

Need to find a more permanent solution such as some fire proof rubber insulation or maybe cut a bit of the splitter at the bottom so it doesn't touch.

Best news is the sound is brilliant, like epic. I love it.

Got under the car and where the muffler was touching the rear splitter/apron I stuffed some rags between the splitter and the muffler. I was sure it was some resonance because of this. Since putting the rags under them properly (1 week) my ears have had no trouble at all. Even took the bungs out for last couple of days and no issues.

Need to find a more permanent solution such as some fire proof rubber insulation or maybe cut a bit of the splitter at the bottom so it doesn't touch.

Honestly I'd be careful stuffing rags around your exhaust, ...wouldn't want to set fire to your Zed after all.

Hope you get it sorted properly soon. :thumbs:

Does it have extendable tips by the way?

Not quick sure what you mean by this. Can't see any adjustment on the tips.

Honestly I'd be careful stuffing rags around your exhaust, ...wouldn't want to set fire to your Zed after all.

Hope you get it sorted properly soon. :thumbs:

The muffler doesn't seem to get that hot but yes will be sorting it properly. Just experimenting to isolate the problem. Any ideas what I could use??

The muffler doesn't seem to get that hot but yes will be sorting it properly. Just experimenting to isolate the problem. Any ideas what I could use??

I had a little internet search for you...

What about this stuff from eBay which is available in various sizes? Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-adhesive-Acoustic-Soundproofing-Fire-Proof-CLASS-O-FOAM-Marine-Narrow-Boat-/141308232353?var=&hash=item20e6a082a1:m:mir6ABC-hnLOYfhqFdDROHA

Not something I've used or needed to but hopefully a better & safer solution than rags. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thanks for looking. It's the kind of item I have been looking at although I think the foam will not cushion it enough or would wear quickly. Have been looking at fire retardant rubber insulation too, besides it's a bit of a water trap down there so need it to dry out, foam would hold more water. To be honest the more I think about it the more likely will get body shop to cut a small piece out of the bottom of splitter so there is the clearance needed.

Edited by monkeybrain1234

Thanks for looking. It's the kind of item I have been looking at although I think the foam will not fusion it enough or wear quickly. Have been looking at fire retardant rubber insulation too, besides it's a bit of a water trap down there so need it to dry out, foam would hold more water. To be honest the more I think about it the more likely will get body shop to cut a small piece out of the bottom of splitter so there is the clearance needed.

I think that is definitely the best solution. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack, i also have the buddyclub exhaust sounds awesome IMO and i love it.....untill it rains and i have to shut the window then the drone is almost umbearable, has anyone experimented with sound deadening material in the boot, does this make much difference ? If so what did you use and where from ?

Cheers in advance!

jk

Sorry to hijack, i also have the buddyclub exhaust sounds awesome IMO and i love it.....untill it rains and i have to shut the window then the drone is almost umbearable, has anyone experimented with sound deadening material in the boot, does this make much difference ? If so what did you use and where from ?

Cheers in advance!

jk

Drone I the rain! I haven't heard of that before. Wonder how that would happen. Have not used any sound deadening it's s before so no help from me. Sorry.

Cheers in advance!

jk

Drone I the rain! I haven't heard of that before. Wonder how that would happen. Have not used any sound deadening it's s before so no help from me. Sorry.

I used to get that with my custom stainless steel exhaust on my EP3 Civic Type R when it rained, ...it used to kind of resonate through the underneath of the car.

Not exactly sure why some exhausts do this & I know it happens on lots of different vehicles with the common denominator always being an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust.

Maybe the steel shrinking & expanding due to sudden temperature changes when the water hits it?? Who knows! :shrug:

If yours is doing it then you could try sound deadening material in the boot or the thicker 350Z boot carpet mat (if you don't already have it) but you may still get the drone resonating through the floor as that's what was happening on my Civic at the time. Good luck JK. ;)

Sorry guys I should clear that up...the Windows ONLY go up in the rain haha

It does seem to be louder during rain though

Thicker Mat? Is that an OEM mat?

Going to look into soundeading the whole boot as even before the exhaust soon as the roads were wet the noise of the water hitting the arch was crazy!

Sorry guys I should clear that up...the Windows ONLY go up in the rain haha

It does seem to be louder during rain though

Thicker Mat? Is that an OEM mat?

Going to look into soundeading the whole boot as even before the exhaust soon as the roads were wet the noise of the water hitting the arch was crazy!

There is a thicker boot carpet as below...

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/78125-genuine-350z-boot-mat-and-nissan-boot-cover-hide/

My 350 already had one in it though when I bought it but some don't. ;)

Your best bet is probably to try some decent sound deadening material like Dynamat or 3M's version. Both can be found on eBay or the net and are self adhesive so very easy to install yourself. :thumbs: