oil recommendations

wilo

i have a 04 with 129000 miles and looking for suggestions on which oil would be best for a motor with this mileage .

also would you guys recommend using an engine flush or just do a simple oil change .tia

As you can imagine this question has been answered more than once wilo.

Always get my oils from Opie Oils a trader on here & lots of other car forums too: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/108-opie-oils/

You want a fully synthetic oil and personally (in my 03' Zed @85K miles+) I used to use 5W30 (as do most others) although I did change to a 5W40 after I had my Zed supercharged.

With yours being even higher mileage if you're unsure the best thing to do is ask the "Oilman" from Opie Oils that I linked above.

As for brands then there are loads to choose from with most being fairly similar (just as good as another imo). I've used Motul, Fuchs, Silkolene, Millers and others in the past which are tbh on the expensive side especially compared to own brands from Halfords or something but as I believe oil to be the life blood of any engine I don't mind spending an extra £20-£30 odd once a year for my oil change.

Some info here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77-faq-what-engine-oil-should-i-use/

:thumbs:

• Like 1

As you can imagine this question has been answered more than once wilo.

Always get my oils from Opie Oils a trader on here & lots of other car forums too: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/108-opie-oils/

You want a fully synthetic oil and personally (in my 03' Zed @85K miles+) I used to use 5W30 (as do most others) although I did change to a 5W40 after I had my Zed supercharged.

With yours being even higher mileage if you're unsure the best thing to do is ask the "Oilman" from Opie Oils that I linked above.

As for brands then there are loads to choose from with most being fairly similar (just as good as another imo). I've used Motul, Fuchs, Silkolene, Millers and others in the past which are tbh on the expensive side especially compared to own brands from Halfords or something but as I believe oil to be the life blood of any engine I don't mind spending an extra £20-£30 odd once a year for my oil change.

Some info here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/77-faq-what-engine-oil-should-i-use/

:thumbs:

thank you for the advice and yea i did a search but with my zed been quite high milage i just wondered if a certain type might be more beneficial.

also i agree with you that oil is the life blood so i too don't mind getting the best to prolong the engine life and minimise wear if possible .

cheers pal

Don't flush, it can dislodge deposits and block oil ways and filters, besides it shouldn't be necessary with the amount of detergents present in modern oils, and with that sort of mileage I would run a 10W40 semi or fully synthetic.

Thanks for the headsup Tricky

okay im confused now lol ..whats the difference between 10/40 & 5/30 .

Its just hot viscosity, at working temps a w40 oil will remain slightly thicker/more viscus that a w30 oil, therefore will have slightly more resistance to shear and will be slightly better at providing a slightly higher oil pressure, so better for a worn engine.

I will add that its only a slight difference, but it helps on a high mileage engine, Nissan and most other manufactures recommend a 5 or 10W30 oil mainly for fuel economy (less oil drag), and the engines are designed around metals that will allow running thinner oils.

Oh! and the first figure IE 5 or 10 is the cold viscosity, and can be pretty much ignored in our climate.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

okay im confused now lol ..whats the difference between 10/40 & 5/30 .

Its just hot viscosity, at working temps a w40 oil will remain slightly thicker/more viscus that a w30 oil, therefore will have slightly more resistance to shear and will be slightly better at providing a slightly higher oil pressure, so better for a worn engine.

I will add that its only a slight difference, but it helps on a high mileage engine, Nissan and most other manufactures recommend a 5 or 10W30 oil mainly for fuel economy (less oil drag), and the engines are designed around metals that will allow running thinner oils.

Oh! and the first figure IE 5 or 10 is the cold viscosity, and can be pretty much ignored in our climate.

great i always wanted to know what the numbers related to tbh . cheers iv got a lot better understanding what to go for now