Reg Plate Crack Down

Kev946

I read about this in the Metro on the way into town today, a national crackdown to prevent organised crime...... pulling people over! :wacko:

I got pulled over for the 15th time on Saturday morning and still no ticket or anything.....

This was for overtaking someone......

Tell me it was the police car, some people have a real phobia about that

Never messed with my numberplate either, however some I've seen you can't read at all. I think they should be more interested in people with one headlight! ... that's the more likely to cause a problem, yet I see countless amounts of people who don't know what bulb looks like! :angry:

This was for overtaking someone......

Tell me it was the police car, some people have a real phobia about that

Never messed with my numberplate either, however some I've seen you can't read at all. I think they should be more interested in people with one headlight! ... that's the more likely to cause a problem, yet I see countless amounts of people who don't know what bulb looks like! :angry:

:lol: I have done that though, on the M25, at about 85. He was sat in the middle lane at 80, no lights on and not adhering to his guidelines when travelling on the motorway. He pulled me, I explained why I thought it was dangerous sitting with lots of people keep braking behind him so I went past. And that it was confusing he was breaking the speed limit with no lights or siren on..... Bit smart @rse but correct, he smiled and let me go!

This one was him going the other way, stopped, turned around, then gunned it like mad to catch up with me. Two things about it, one I was in the Volvo, two I barely exceeded the speed limit which was why I overtook!

One headlight, front foglights on, no lights early in the morning, brake lights out...... Any of it would be a start!! :dry:

For owners of import vehicles there are certain allowances for smaller plates and fonts:

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles (which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate):

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates.

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

This is one issue that gets my blood boiling. In fact Ill probably need a new keyboard if I type like this for long.

This quote specificaly really gets on my threpenny bits....

Depending on the offence officers can issue a vehicle defect rectification notice, a £30 fixed penalty notice and apply to DVLA to have the number plate withdrawn from use. This could be an expensive penalty for a motorist who has paid a large sum of money for a specific registration plate.

Now then...

The DVLA auction certain plates - the ones they know will generate a lot of revenue.

CHR1S for example was around £100k I believe.

The DVLA know damned well what that spells, they know damned well that someone is going to pay through the nose for it, and they also know damned well that it wil be spaced exactly as Ive just typed it.

So, when the person does space it in that manner, the police can thn report them to the DVLA to have the mark taken away.

Sounds like a money making racket to me.

If the plates are not to be mis spaced, then why are the DVLA knowingly selling plates for higher prices that form words when spaced incorrectly or altered witht he use of screws etc.

As the licensing body, the DVLA are by their very actions of pricing plates in this manner, encouraging and some may even say "promoting" criminal activity.

If I were in the position where the police ever applied to the DVLA to have my mark withdrawn (unlikely as both mine are now legal), both the DVLA and the police would find themselves on the end of a court case based around the above, as in my book it is clear evidence of entrapment, conspiracy (between the DVLA and the police) to extract monies from the public, and conspiracy to commit crime by the DVLA.

Id probably lose, as there would be no way either the DVLA or police could kiss goodbye to their repsective money earners from these private plate sales, but I would have a damned good go.

This is one issue that gets my blood boiling. In fact Ill probably need a new keyboard if I type like this for long.

This quote specificaly really gets on my threpenny bits....

Depending on the offence officers can issue a vehicle defect rectification notice, a £30 fixed penalty notice and apply to DVLA to have the number plate withdrawn from use. This could be an expensive penalty for a motorist who has paid a large sum of money for a specific registration plate.

Now then...

The DVLA auction certain plates - the ones they know will generate a lot of revenue.

CHR1S for example was around £100k I believe.

The DVLA know damned well what that spells, they know damned well that someone is going to pay through the nose for it, and they also know damned well that it wil be spaced exactly as Ive just typed it.

So, when the person does space it in that manner, the police can thn report them to the DVLA to have the mark taken away.

Sounds like a money making racket to me.

If the plates are not to be mis spaced, then why are the DVLA knowingly selling plates for higher prices that form words when spaced incorrectly or altered witht he use of screws etc.

As the licensing body, the DVLA are by their very actions of pricing plates in this manner, encouraging and some may even say "promoting" criminal activity.

If I were in the position where the police ever applied to the DVLA to have my mark withdrawn (unlikely as both mine are now legal), both the DVLA and the police would find themselves on the end of a court case based around the above, as in my book it is clear evidence of entrapment, conspiracy (between the DVLA and the police) to extract monies from the public, and conspiracy to commit crime by the DVLA.

Id probably lose, as there would be no way either the DVLA or police could kiss goodbye to their repsective money earners from these private plate sales, but I would have a damned good go.

I'm with you Chirs, but if the DVLA don't sell them some other toe rag will.

im def with you chris!!!!

thats exactly the same with me!!!

When i bought my number plate the first thing they ask u is 'what are u trying to spell' Why even say that :rant::rant:

so i said shire!!! sold me S111 REC so all i do is change space to S111RE C

No altering of letters,numbers or changing with a dot!!!

then the feds act like im a criminal and a w&nker at the same time!!Probally just jealous off the motor :lol:

Just what you would expect at a time when the police are trying to cnvince us they should get a higher payrise.

Cracking down on street crime may have been a better option to get a little sympathy.

My plate is legally spaced and I have still been stopped because its private and they were trying to work out what it was. Just a random car safety check of course.

Yup - the DVLA website and other websites even invite you to put your name in or other words if you like and then try and match the plate to your needs.

If that isn’t encouraging crime I don’t know what is.

Besides which, if I were wishing to hide my true identity as an international drug lord peddling dope to school kids, smack to pop stars and sending the profits to Osama, would I really drive round in a bright frigging yellow car with loud exhausts and my bloody name on the back??

The police used to have a great weapon called discretion, sadly now removed by the politicians and replaced with a true little Britain "computer says no" attitude to everything.

They are only following orders, and achieving the misleading targets sent down from above, so I don’t blame the officers, but it’s about time they revolted against the barmy procedures they are being told to follow.

If they marched in London for a pay rise along with the removal of stupid antics like the above, I'd gladly spend a week colouring in their banners for them.

Yup - the DVLA website and other websites even invite you to put your name in or other words if you like and then try and match the plate to your needs.

If that isn’t encouraging crime I don’t know what is.

Besides which, if I were wishing to hide my true identity as an international drug lord peddling dope to school kids, smack to pop stars and sending the profits to Osama, would I really drive round in a bright frigging yellow car with loud exhausts and my bloody name on the back??

The police used to have a great weapon called discretion, sadly now removed by the politicians and replaced with a true little Britain "computer says no" attitude to everything.

They are only following orders, and achieving the misleading targets sent down from above, so I don’t blame the officers, but it’s about time they revolted against the barmy procedures they are being told to follow.

If they marched in London for a pay rise along with the removal of stupid antics like the above, I'd gladly spend a week colouring in their banners for them.

Well said!!! Totally agree! :thumbs: