Vaping - Mechanical Mods.

Grundy

For all the advanced Vapers out there.

Need some advice on Mech Mods.

I've done a lot of research into it, does get confusing, but at the same time there does seem to be a fairly simple rule to follow when building your deck. (But feel free to contribute below your summary for other people)

Anyway,

Can someone find me a Mech Mod to buy.

I've been tempted by the higher price range..purely because they look awesome.

However the sensible side of me for now doesn't want to spend £100+ just yet until I've tried it to see if I can get on with it okay.

So I'd like to spend around £50ish on one, again however, I'm also worried about going to cheap as I don't want a clone.

Sooooo could anyone recommend me a Mech Mod that is genuine along with a battery to go with it.

I'm a fan of this design (Tube shape, over the box shape)

https://www.ukecigstore.com/vicious-ant-phenom-26650.html

Also, happy to pay a bit more if it comes with a RDA deck.

Current setup - Snow Wolf 200w About 5 different Tanks, 2 Different Drippers.

I personally think the mech mod scene is going to die soon. There's no need or them anymore with high powered boxed mods and commercial sub ohm coils. Some tanks even have rebuildable coils so mech mod dripper don't even have that for themselves anymore.

I personally think the mech mod scene is going to die soon. There's no need or them anymore with high powered boxed mods and commercial sub ohm coils. Some tanks even have rebuildable coils so mech mod dripper don't even have that for themselves anymore.

I disagree, mech mods allow for a smaller vape over box mods as they only have to be marginally bigger than the battery.

I've done a lot of research into it, does get confusing, but at the same time there does seem to be a fairly simple rule to follow when building your deck. (But feel free to contribute below your summary for other people)

Mech mod tips:

• Make sure the resistance of the coil isn't too low for the max amp drain at 4.2V (fully charged battery voltage).
  • Test the resistance of the atty before putting it on the mech.
  • Always buy your batteries from a reliable source and if possible check their authenticity.
  • Make sure the batteries you're buying are actually rated at the specific Max Drain.
  • Make sure the mech mod is vented (has holes around the battery).
  • Inspect the coils/check for shorts regularly.

Can someone find me a Mech Mod to buy.

In my opinion you can't beat a Stingray, I've had 3 of them (Copper Black, Red Copper and plain Copper). I haven't bought one in a while but had problems with some attys not fitting on the 510 connector of the authentic Stingrays, therefore I wouldn't worry too much about getting a clone, it may actually be better quality. US$28, deliveries from fast tech can be a bit hit and miss though:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009322/1825003-stingray-x-style-stainless-steel-copper

along with a battery to go with it.

As above, never skimp on batteries. I literally ordered 4 of these this morning, I'll check if they're authentic when they arrive! Ignore the 35A though, they're possibly 30A at best. I use 0.25-0.3Ohm coils, so 4.2/0.25 = 16.8A which is fine on a mech even if they're actually rated 20A.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BFUAZD0

Cheers Hayden, Just the man I was looking for.

https://www.vampirev...-by-wotofo.html

Ordered this for now (That stingray does look nice!) Just because it was cheap and simple, and out of the Vampire range, only one with the vents at the bottom. (Ideally I'd like my next one to have a few more vents for peace of mind)

I guess I got lucky, ordered the same Battery's too. Sony VCT5.

Just ordered a load of concentrates too.

With regards to the coil. I'd say I'm similar to you, build my coils to about 0.3/0.4Ohm.

From what you did there (4.2/0.25) Is this a simple method as to working out what to run.

So the same battery as you.

• Nominal capacity: 2600mAh
  • Rated capacity: 2500mAh
  • Continuous maximum charge current: 4A
  • Continuous plus charge current: 12A
  • 30A max continuous discharge
  • 18mm diameter
  • 65mm length
  • Nominal voltage: 3.6V
  • Charge voltage: 4.20±0.05V
  • Cut-off voltage: 2.5V
  • Flat Top

The ones I've highlighted in bold, that's the figured I should be looking at, and keeping the output below 30A?

Edited by Grundy@TeamTarmac

30A max continuous discharge

That's the main one, use an ohms law calculator:

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

Plug in your voltage (4.2V, the batteries say 3.7V but at maximum charge it's 4.2V) and your resistance (0.3Ohms or whatever), hit the button and check the current, if it's below 30A you'll be fine. You'll probably want to leave a safety margin though, say 25A max. The calc is simply V / R so 4.2/0.3 if you'd prefer to not use the calculator.

I noticed this with your mod:

The SMPL is a no-top-cap, atty to battery

Make sure all the attys you use with it have a positive/cetner pin that always protrudes below the rest of the atty, you don't want the outside bit of the 510 connector coming in contact with the positive pin.

Also, how does the lock on the button work on that mod?

30A max continuous discharge

That's the main one, use an ohms law calculator:

http://www.ohmslawca...-law-calculator

Plug in your voltage (4.2V, the batteries say 3.7V but at maximum charge it's 4.2V) and your resistance (0.3Ohms or whatever), hit the button and check the current, if it's below 30A you'll be fine. You'll probably want to leave a safety margin though, say 25A max. The calc is simply V / R so 4.2/0.3 if you'd prefer to not use the calculator.

I noticed this with your mod:

The SMPL is a no-top-cap, atty to battery

Make sure all the attys you use with it have a positive/cetner pin that always protrudes below the rest of the atty, you don't want the outside bit of the 510 connector coming in contact with the positive pin.

Also, how does the lock on the button work on that mod?

Yeah I watched a couple of videos/reviews on the mod. Both my Dodge and Royal hunter are 510 compliant, have the pin etc.

This Mod doesn't lock :( So will have to be extra careful. However this is more than likely just a tester for me, to see if I get on with it.

This Mod doesn't lock :( So will have to be extra careful. However this is more than likely just a tester for me, to see if I get on with it.

I thought that was the case, the fluch button style should be fine in a pocket unless a key pokes the button in, but I'd still prefer a mod with a lock. You'l probably hear the atty crackling away if the button accidentally gets pressed I guess.

• Like 1

I thought that was the case, the fluch button style should be fine in a pocket unless a key pokes the button in, but I'd still prefer a mod with a lock. You'l probably hear the atty crackling away if the button accidentally gets pressed I guess.

Yeah think I'll be extra vigilant with this, do feel a tad nervous :lol:

One thing I did read on a calculator site, for my battery, I'll get about 150 puffs out of it (5 sec puffs)

Looks like this will be a desk vape :lol:

One thing I did read on a calculator site, for my battery, I'll get about 150 puffs out of it (5 sec puffs)

Looks like this will be a desk vape :lol:

I sued to go through 3 18500 batteries a day, so the mod and 2 batteries in a case is still pretty small. Even with a 18650s I still carry 2 around just in case.