LEAK INTO THE BOOT??? OR IS IT CONDENSATION?

NICOLA

I have a Roaster on a 56 plate and last week I noticed that my boot was "damp". (I have had the car for a year and it has been out in ice and heavy rain for periods of 10 hours at a time)

The soft black cover on the boot lit had gone mouldy (as well as a few thing in the boot itself) but the actuall boot base was dry as a bone.

After investigating the matter today I have taken off the black cover and cleaned off the mould, it seems that it could be a condensation problem????

under the black cover is plastic with a few holes in, I have stuck my fingers through the holes and there seems to be condensation forming???

this is the first time I have noticed this, has anyone else had any problems... is there a fix?????

please help me!!!!

Nicola x

Hi Nicola and nice to see another roadstr. Welcome to the forum.

I definately have to give mne a good run at this time of year to kepp condensation down in the cab but havent had the problem in the boot. Wouldnt have thought it would be a seal problem with a 56 plate.

Give it a good clean out and keep an eye on it. Anyone mentioning hairdryers and I will be round for a word :boxing:

Get some pics up when you have the chance, needto keep the coupe/roadster balance a bit more even.

Enjoy the forum :D

One thing worth checking, not water related directly. Havent had the roof down for some time and dropped it to do some polishing last week. It wasnt very happy initially and had to do it twice. May be worth adding it to the list of things to check when you get a dry day. Wouldnt want it to stick at the wrong time. Mine is an 55 by the way so a little older. :wheelchair::D

I have a Roaster on a 56 plate and last week I noticed that my boot was "damp". (I have had the car for a year and it has been out in ice and heavy rain for periods of 10 hours at a time)

The soft black cover on the boot lit had gone mouldy (as well as a few thing in the boot itself) but the actuall boot base was dry as a bone.

After investigating the matter today I have taken off the black cover and cleaned off the mould, it seems that it could be a condensation problem????

under the black cover is plastic with a few holes in, I have stuck my fingers through the holes and there seems to be condensation forming???

this is the first time I have noticed this, has anyone else had any problems... is there a fix?????

please help me!!!!

Nicola x

Hi Nicola,

I have had a similar problem with my JDM Roadster. I thought the only leak I had was a small drip coming into the car from the top of the door frame. But, when I was out in it the other day and went to put something in my boot, I found it to be completely soaked - both the carpet and the underside lining of the bootlid.

I suspect water is coming through the screw holes where the Nismo rear spoiler is attached to the bootlid. Most annoying and will take many hours with a hairdryer to dry out. :angry:

Somebody had to mention hairdryers on a roadster thread :dry:

If its an 06 roadster its pretty unlikely to have a boot spoiler though. I do remember someone else on here with a boot spoiler that leaked, as I remember he took it off and refitted with some cheap rubber grommits which did the trick :D

Somebody had to mention hairdryers on a roadster thread :dry:

If its an 06 roadster its pretty unlikely to have a boot spoiler though. I do remember someone else on here with a boot spoiler that leaked, as I remember he took it off and refitted with some cheap rubber grommits which did the trick :D

Mine's a 53 JDM model and came with a big spoiler fitted (see pic). Looks to me like the water is seeping in through the fixing to the bootlid....

Guest prescience

Not heard this one before must admit. Water is getting in obviously :blush: , is there any way you can give it a route out (ie open to air) to try to determine whether it's an endemic problem with your car

Curious. Not had this on the Zed before.

Other cars have generated this though problems have either been;

seal related e.g. rubber not quite fitting or breached around hatch / lights

or on roadsters an issue with water sitting around the edge and then when left stationary(couldn't resist penning that) it seeping in.

Unless someone has come across this before then it is usually the case of knowing when and when it does not happen, of course this is tedious but starting with a dired out car will help (hair dryers here you come), on ething worth hunting for is the highest damp patch make sure you look back to the metal.

Big Hello btw

Hi Nicola :welcome:

I'm after a roadster myself so thats 3 of us then on the forum!! This is a concern for me as it will be living outdoors all year round? (Have you been to Bury! :lol: )

Unfortunatley never seen inside of one up close yet - but off for a test drive at dealers next Saturday - I will have a good nosey around and see if there is anything obvious to check for?

My previous roadsters (MR2 -sorry folks) had a couple of leaks but it was just the rubber seal on the top of the window frame - it was not seated properly in the hood. Only other thing is to check there are no leaves (if you park near trees) clogging up any drain holes etc? Sorry cant be more help but until I have a proper shuftie I wont know how it all fits together?

Stan :)

Doh sorry Nicola - forgot to mention the following: :blush:

Get the hairdrier out - dry the whole lot off if you can, - place a couple of sheets of kitchen paper in the area where you think things may get wet - close everything up, get a hose pipe and lightly sprinkle the back /top of the car - switch off - see if you can follow where the water flows and see if it rests on any edges of the car - this is a slow process of elimination but it should help? Better you find it than the dealers - they will just keep it in all day get some 16 year old kid to play with your CD's for a few hours then say - nope nowt wrong wiv it? :angry:

right, the car has been tucked up all night and it seems to be dry.

I have now left it out in the sun all day, so i will see what happens next!! I will keep you posted.....

hey how many Zeds are there in Chez Vegas????

I only seem to see mine and 4 other????

right, the car has been tucked up all night and it seems to be dry.

I have now left it out in the sun all day, so i will see what happens next!! I will keep you posted.....

hey how many Zeds are there in Chez Vegas????

I only seem to see mine and 4 other????

Just to give you a clue, I am lucky to see one a month. :surrender:

4 in a day if you can manage it would be a record :thumbs:

oh and stanski... they would get a shock if they listened to my cd!!!!..... Girls Aloud.... I love then!! he he he

Well those 16 year old kids will probably be trying to find the Girls Aloud CD cover to disuss the finer points of ladies makeup, hair styles and white high heel shoes - which can be useful in car stuck in mud scenarios? :lol:

Did you mention sunshine in Yorkshire? Heavens above what ever will they think of next! ;)

Hope you have dry boots in the morning!

Hi,

I've not had any water in the boot on my roadster. It's parked outside (not covered or garaged) so suffers all weathers. Whereabouts in the boot itself was it wet? I know when I 1st opened the boot and it was a wet day and saw all the water spill off I thought **** - but of course it goes into the guetter/surrounds.

Biggest issue I have with water is getting dripped on when window down/reverseing as it leaks off the hood :O

hello ks2006

Its the boot lid that seems to be full of condensation. I have taken the carpet type cover off as this went mouldy.

checked it twice today at work and all seems fine!!! no damp patch????

Hey I know what you mean about the water dropping off the roof... it a right pain especially when you have spent an hours straightening your hair!!!!:lol: