Help me understand disc and pad wear.

HEADPHONES

Firstly a little background on my driving.

Got an 05 Zed brand new.

Averaged about 9000 miles/yr for 3 yrs then down to 3000/yr as kids arrived.

I had the garage replace pads with stock pads at about 33k and 5yrs.

Now Zed is 11yrs old and the original discs are still good according to the garage.

I know.......I DRIVE LIKE MISS DAISY :p

So I assume the pads wear faster than discs.

But if the pads wear too thin they damage and score the discs.

With my sprog transporter (2011 Kia Sportage ) I drive even more smoothly.

About 4000 miles a year mainly motorway miles.

Today at 24k miles Kia told me it's brakes are still fine but a bit worn and to expect new discs and pads next year?

Is it normal for them to wear at the same rate needing replacement TOGETHER or should they be recommending changing pads BEFORE they get so worn as to wreck the discs?

Just find it odd how I've had a Zed 11 years with discs lasting to the 2nd set of pads and the same with our 10 year old Mini Cooper with 30k miles of city driving.

Needles to say the Kia is going to Lockwood and Greenwood from now on :glare:

You should get a minimum of 2 sets of pads to 1 set of discs.

Main stealers always like to prime you about possible future costs at the next service so as you don't feel like your wallet has been raped when that service arrives and they duly dip in.

In my experience the so called health check they provide for free at service time is just getting you into a state of mind to be manipulatedlated for there own profit.

With your driving style 60000 miles should be easily achievable from the front discs with no issue.

The only things made of mush are the brains of customers who beleive the nice people at the service desk.

The good looking blond on service is there to maximise sales in the nicest possible way.

That leather suite, free coffee, live TV, free newspaper etc is just there to soften the blow of your wallet having there hands in it.

Sorry to be so cynical but I see both sides of the counter on a regular basis.

Also bear in mind the quality of the disc too. The Nissan where probably made of a different material at the time. However discs can be skimmed when slightly warped or grooved. We don't know the composite of these cheap discs today most could be manufactured with inferior material not made to last. Good to take advice, but equally good to get a second opinion :)