Rounded Locking Nut Belt Tensioner

CountKyle

My aux belts have started squealing, and having inspected them they're due a change. I've managed to loosen off the right-hand side locking nut (14mm) on the idler wheel no problem, but the other one is rounded and I don't have the space to try and get a smaller socket on.

Is this a nut that can be replaced easily if I ruin it by loosening it with vice grips for example?

Any advice nut would be appreciated!

Cheers

Yup can be replaced easily, ZmanAlex used to offer replacement nuts (17mm IIRC) with the belt kits - Clarke may do the same now :shrug:

Gotta get it off but a replacement should not be an issue :)

I can't even get the socket on it to turn it! :(

That's why the last guy rounded it off. That left side one, as you look at the engine, is a pig. I couldn't even get the torque wrench in, had to guess using the right side one as a guide.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to replace the belts - it's a really easy job once the undertray is out the way. I had to remove one of the radiator fans so I could get a bit more room to bash the socket on - it went on eventually!

I replaced both locking nuts whilst I was at as they were in a bit of a state.