Battery warranty

Vlad

I bought new car battery (Bosch S4) in January 2014 and in last 6 months it was getting flat quite often...originally I put it down to not driving car enough and then thought that something was draining it (alarm, car stereo etc).

Finally got time to sort it out...borrowed a battery tester from my friend and tested it when it was flat...it showed State of charge 0% and State of health 0%.

Jump started it and went for a drive. Got home, SOC gone up to 78% and SOH gone up to about same.

I then completely removed battery from the car and tested it in the morning (about 12hrs after disconnecting it) and it dropped charge from 78% to 25%. That made it clear that battery is knackered.

I managed to find original invoice and receipt from EuroCarParts and battery has 4 years warranty. Bonus. Went there today and guy did a quick test and said "yea, it's knackered" and gave me brand new one without any questions asked...

BUT...

He refused to give me new receipt? So now I only have warranty that left from purchasing my original one.

His point was "if we give out fresh warranty on every replacement battery, people would never buy new batteries. They will just bring it back day before warranty runs out and excnhge it for a new one for another nearly 4 years and then do same again"

Fair point, but my point is - battery comes with 4 years warranty...I now have a new battery and I want 4 years of warranty on it. If people bring it back day before warranty ends - shop/garage still test it to see if it's good or not...if it is good, then customer don't get new battery. But if they test it and it is knackered - it didn't live to the expectations and should be replaced.

Do you see my point? Guy wasn't having any of it.

I'm not really that bothered as I still have warranty till end of January 2018... Just principle.

What do you guys think about this one? I think I have a valid point, but am I missing something?

Edited by Vlad

No, he's right. You purchased one battery, and that's what your warranty is based on. They can (and will) replace as many times as you like in that time, but you only get the one warranty which starts with the original battery. You don't get new rights just because they replaced it.

I had the same conversation with Ford when the engine blew on our Transit one month before warranty ended.

Years ago I got a Kirkland Signature battery from Costco.

Their own brand with 5 year warranty stamped on.

4yr 10 months later it went dead.

Probably coz I'd bought the Zed and the old car had been sat idle for months.

Went back to Costco receipt in hand.

Bad news.....they stopped doing those batteries couple years back.

Good news......they gave me a new Bosche one instead :teeth:

Keeping receipts is good :thumbs:

Years ago I got a Kirkland Signature battery from Costco.

Their own brand with 5 year warranty stamped on.

4yr 10 months later it went dead.

Probably coz I'd bought the Zed and the old car had been sat idle for months.

Went back to Costco receipt in hand.

Bad news.....they stopped doing those batteries couple years back.

Good news......they gave me a new Bosche one instead :teeth:

Keeping receipts is good :thumbs:

Bonus!

Yea I was quite surprised when I found receipt as I usually lose things like that...especially if it's nearly 2.5years old lol