bit confused

lazza

hi fairly new to 350z so couple of questions what is a de and hr engine presume hr is high rev but not sure . also have a roadster and seems to be different underneath for exhaust options whats the difference cheers for any help

The DE engine is the first engine the 350z received. It was in vehicles from 2002 - 2005 and it produced 276bhp (the uk version, the u.s one made 287bhp).

Then in 2006 it got a bump to 296bhp and was known as the "revvup" engine, it was basically a map on the DE engine that only licenced garages could modify. Few garages have this licence.

Then the later ones were known as HR, this stood for "high revolution" as the engine had a higher rev limit. The engine produced less torque but more power (308bhp). The engine was claimed to be 80% different to the DE and it resulted in a bigger head, this could seen by the twin intake plenums on the top and the redesigned bonnet to allow for the taller block. The DE had a single intake plenum.

I'm not sure how accurate some of that is but on the whole those are the differences.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Then in 2006 it got a bump to 296bhp and was known as the "revvup" engine, it was basically a map on the DE engine that only licenced garages could modify. Few garages have this.

I think you might be getting rev up and up rev confused. One is a 350z engine the other is the software used for remapping. :)

Then in 2006 it got a bump to 296bhp and was known as the "revvup" engine, it was basically a map on the DE engine that only licenced garages could modify. Few garages have this.

I think you might be getting rev up and up rev confused. One is a 350z engine the other is the software used for remapping. :)

Haha that's the one. I wasn't far off.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2006 could be either a normal DE or a DE rev up (As 2006 was the year tthey switched to the facelift model). One of the ways to tell, without looking at the engine, is if yours has silver/metal aircon and heater controls? If it does it's a rev up, if not it's a DE.

thanks for the info lads ill check the aircon controls later looks like its a de engine. tbh im happy as it is i love driving her im finished my days of modding but will replace the exhaust as its a bit tired.

With regards to the exhaust, the coupe exhausts will fit the roadster. I did read somewhere that the exhaust on the roadster was "tuned" to make the car sound better! (when you are driving about with the roof down etc!). The roadster is different underneath to the coupe as it has various strengthening braces to compensate for lack of roof.