standard tyres

Appo

Hi

When I bought my Z from a Nissan dealer just over 2 years ago, they replaced all 4 tyres. I have only just spotted that rear tyres are 225 as well as the front ones - both are on standard Rays wheels.

Should I expect to see 245 on rear, and does this mean my rear Rays are :angry: non-standard?

(you will now spot who isn't really very good at wheel/tyre technology)

Yes you should be running 245's on the rear. The best way to check for definate if you have the correct size wheels on the rear (8.5J) is to whip one off and have a look at the back of the spokes, shold be embossed on there.

Like Andy's said check the wheel size first.

Well if it is 8" wheels on the back, then I'd be kicking off on the basis that they have sold a car that is not up to specification and potenitally unsafe!

I know its not much, but they have 245 rear tyres for a reason! :rant:

let us know.....

• 4 months later...

The front and back wheels are actually the same size. Although they are slightly different in that the back wheels are designed not to fit on the front of the car. The wheels also have front/back stamped on the inside of them.

The handling of the car will have been set up to have 245s on the back, so it will no doubt we affected by having 225s instead of 245.

Don't believe anything that nissan dealers tell you and take it elsewhere for tyres :thumbs:

The front and back wheels are actually the same size. Although they are slightly different in that the back wheels are designed not to fit on the front of the car. The wheels also have front/back stamped on the inside of them.

The handling of the car will have been set up to have 245s on the back, so it will no doubt we affected by having 225s instead of 245.

Don't believe anything that nissan dealers tell you and take it elsewhere for tyres :thumbs:

Standard are the same size all round, Rays are wider at the rear.

Guest prescience
Since the Rays are 18s and you currently are running 17s, if you increase the rear tyre size to 245 it will affect the gearing and speedo readings.

I know what you are saying, but as written it is incorrect. The 245 is the width of the tyre and has no impact on rolling radius and hence speedo readings. The key figure is the profile of the tyre. If the profile of the tyre is 45, that means that the sidewall is 45% of the width from which and knowing the size of the wheel (17", 18") you can calculate the rolling radius :)

Since the Rays are 18s and you currently are running 17s, if you increase the rear tyre size to 245 it will affect the gearing and speedo readings.

I know what you are saying, but as written it is incorrect. The 245 is the width of the tyre and has no impact on rolling radius and hence speedo readings. The key figure is the profile of the tyre. If the profile of the tyre is 45, that means that the sidewall is 45% of the width from which and knowing the size of the wheel (17", 18") you can calculate the rolling radius :)

You are absolutely correct and have explained it much better than my attempt :notworthy::p