SAT-NAV / DVD / TV

Jixaman

Hi there, I have just bought a 350Z JDM, I wanted a car with built in SAT-NAV, only to find out its no good over here?

There must be a tech solution to this... And it will all be down to the DVD region thing, no?

I mean, the SAT-NAV itself, all SAT-NAV works the same, they pick up the satelites, be it a Garmin or whatever, it will work in any country, im sure the JDM SAT-NAV dosnt realise its outside Japan and refuses to work...

The maps you use come on a disc, the disc will be region coded, is it more likely that the DVD player's firmware is scripted in Japanese and looks for a Japanese region code?

I know it dosnt help me just now but... If my nice new disc bought from Nissan at a couple of hundred quid could be region coded as Japanese then at least it would work, I would just need to figure out the script...

As for playing DVD's there must be a source for buying Japanese DVD's for the english speaking population, there are after all lots of westerners that work / do business over there... I know, a lot of trouble for a small feature of the car...

TV? Why wont this work? Isnt TV just sent over the airwaves and picked up by tuning in to the correct bandwidth? I'm lost...

Anyway, Hi all, I stand ready to be shot at but regardless look forward to many a good time with my Z...

My last car was an MG TF 135 which was modified for track use by Dreadnought (BTCC) and had seen tracktime at both Knockhill and Nurburgring, unfortunatly some prat pulled out of a junction on an A road and almost killed my wife but did kill the car (yes I almost killed him), I loved the TF but the accident gave me the perfect excuse to move on, something I wasnt going to do as long as I had the TF, it was a seriously fun car...

Anyway, hope someone with the technical know how can see where I'm coming from and shed some light...

Cheers...

the problem with the DVD's not working is that the screen is NTSC (like in usa) whereas we have PAL, but the region code is Region 2 (like us). So you can't play region 2 or region 1 DVD's. You are correct that you can play Japanese DVD i.e. from japan! For example my jap DVD for the Sat nav worked fine. You can buy english speaking DVD's from japan but they are few and far between. Likewise you MAY be able to buy a sat nav map in Japan that is of the UK but it will only speak to you in Japanese! It's hard to accept I know - I have just ripped out a state of the art TV, voice activated sat nav system and DVD but it really isn't going to work. The best you can hope for is that some of the bits can be used elsewhere.

• 3 months later...

Ok, trying to build an empire at the moment (and business is bad) so not spent any time or money on this...

Well, just a little bit of time...

I have got the sat nav to boot up, she talks to me in Japanese (I melted with that voice) and the GPS is working (theres a setup screen which shows satelite cover and car direction), need to sort out the mapping side of things next...

So, just need to work out the DVD file folder system and change a few files (ha, "just" e says) and sat nav will be working from a to b...

I have the sat nav manual from Courtesy Nismo, it shows what each screen soes (albeit the US version) there will be differences but those will be down to selections available due to region...

Will post back when investigated further... Anyone with info on going down this route ?

I'm messing arround with what files do what, it is still in Japanese and mapping is not there yet but it has booted and the GPS part is there as well as the menus...

Hard to think that theres not a tech head not figured this one out yet, it must be do-able, I'm at work just now so I'm working on it just now, will let you know, good luck with your Z, I'm sure you will enjoy it...