Any Pug 308 Diesel Owners? Fault Codes

Stutopia

A mate has a dirty diesel Pug 308 1.6 HDI (though his dream car is a Dodge Challenger, so he's not all bad) and recently it went into limp mode coming off a roundabout and chucked a generic "depollution system" dashboard message. Upon plugging in a code reader and getting the codes there was:

P1351 (spark plugs) though this presumably is glow plugs on an oil burner

P0087 (fuel rail system pressure too low)

P0093 (large fuel leak)

There's no evidence of a large fuel leak, so I am assuming this is code tied to the fuel rail pressure too low code and the car assumes a sudden drop in pressure must be a fuel leak.

As a first, cheap step, I've suggested changing the fuel filter in case it is blocked and impeding fuel flow (causing the drop in pressure), but I'm guessing it could also be the fuel pump in the fuel tank or (assuming they have one) the smaller high pressure pump up in the engine bay for getting diesel fuel up to the required PSI.

There's also the DPF and EGR under the banner of "depollution" but no P codes for them.

I think the glow plugs are a bit of a red herring as they are only used for ignition I believe, not like the continuous spark on a petrol.

All this is guesswork from me, do any of you have any ideas? Particularly pug or diesel owners?

I've tried the usual suggestions, don't buy French, don't buy diesel etc :lol:

Thanks

Stu

DPF and egr could potentially be the root cause of the whole issue.

Bearing in mind that both systems are critical to the correct fuelling of the system.

not sure of this engine has it but there's a priming bulb on some pug dervs on the way to the fuel rail. They sometimes get minor airleak that causes air to get in and causes a misfire.

Also I'm guessing a 10 penny OBD scanner was used (spark plug code on a derv sounds like a generic cheapie machine). Wouldn't go wrong with a decent scan and a look at the live data to see what's doing what.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Btw in think your suggestion of fuel filter is deffo spot on as best place to start if it is a fuel issue.

Also give the oil a sniff and make sure it doesn't smell of fuel.

• Like 1

DPF and egr could potentially be the root cause of the whole issue.

Bearing in mind that both systems are critical to the correct fuelling of the system.

not sure of this engine has it but there's a priming bulb on some pug dervs on the way to the fuel rail. They sometimes get minor airleak that causes air to get in and causes a misfire.

Also I'm guessing a 10 penny OBD scanner was used (spark plug code on a derv sounds like a generic cheapie machine). Wouldn't go wrong with a decent scan and a look at the live data to see what's doing what.

Thanks for that, not considered that area so worth looking into.

I didn't see the scanner, but it was done by an indie garage (so hopefully not a eBay special) presumably generic snap-on. They've suggested a Pug steeler but I was hoping he might avoid the full trousers down and replace every component treatment.

Quick research suggests there is a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel metering value thst are also cleanable and possible culprits

Loads have solved it with fuel filters though

I did some googling but didn't find the pug forums to be hugely useful and certainly not as good as this place (obvs!). Thanks!

I'll be honest mate half the time you're better sticking with what you know.

350 forum will probably turn decent advice out. Pug forum will probably turn up 900 threads with no resolution

That first code is a glow plug preheater failing which can apparently cause issues with DPF regeneration.

Just had a chat with the guy and the indie he's found seems really decent. Basically said he could clean the DPF, replace the EGR, do the glow plugs (apparently a PITA on this model) and still not get to the bottom of it and he'd rather not guess and have a dissatisfied customer.

Suggested a new fuel filter :teeth: and running some non-supermarket diesel with a diesel fuel cleaner additive for a full tank, as a cheapo starting point. If it were me I'd be trading it in or getting webuyanycar to rustle up some cash!