New for 2016 Gran Turismo 6 Challenge Cup

jowen7448

In the interest of finding a reason to get back into GT6 myself and to reform the friendly competition amongst members of this site I present to you the GT6 Challenge Cup.

I have started a new thread here so I can maintain the times for the new challenges.

For the initial 3 challenges I chose 3 circuits and 3 cars aiming for a bit of variety.

So I chose:

Red Bull Ring in a mk1 Ford Focus RS: To celebrate the upcoming new RS on a simple track layout where understeer in the FF layout will hurt you.

Spa Francorchamps in a Tesla model S signature performance: As with the RS there is an upcoming new model from Tesla as I am sure most of you know. What could be more different to the RS to drive than a high powered, high torque, electric rear wheel drive. Spa chosen as one of my favourite GP circuits that should provide a fairly technical challenge overall for the Tesla. I personally also find it really hard to get into a rhythm when the engine is on mute.

Matterhorn Rotenboden in Nissan GTR (07): A car that needs no introduction, the mighty GTR. The circuit is full of steep gradients, blind crests, off camber bends and nightmare braking zones providing a hearty and frustrating challenge for the mighty beast.

For this I propose completely stock, apart from an oil change (and a wash), any set up goes. I will try to maintain times periodically on this post. I am not Bernie Ecclestone so am happy for other challenge suggestions etc. However I will ask that anyone who throws down a new challenge maintains their own record of times until at least 5 others (6 in total) have attempted it. Once this is the case, send me a PM or whatever with all of those times and I will add it to this post and track it from that point. That should help make my job a little easier and weed out unpopular challenges.

To submit your time, include your psn gamertag so that people can connect with each other if they so choose.

Focus RS Red Bull Ring:

saint - NA - 1:47.724

SuperStu - Reed_Rockhard - 1:47.839

jowen7448 - optimossprime - 1:47.946

Tesla Model S Spa:

jowen7448 - optimossprime - 2:48.639

SuperStu - Reed_Rockhard - 2:48.819

GTR 07 Matterhorn:

SuperStu - Reed_Rockhard - 1:40.246

jowen7448 - optimossprime - 1:40.592

Challenge Two

Permitted Mods: Big Brake Kit, Stage 3 Weight Reduction, Racing Soft Tyres

Cote d'Azure - Renault Sport Clio V6 24v

1:39.731 - SuperStu

1:39.798 - jowen7448

1.41.972 - Saint

Circuito di Roma - KTM X-Bow R '12

1:04.712 - jowen7448

1:05.746 - SuperStu

1.06.715 - Saint

Trial Mountain - Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

1:27.701 - SuperStu

1:27.833 - jowen7448

1.28.927 - Saint

Let's race!!!

Edited by SuperStu

Firstly, what an interesting combination of tracks and cars you've put together :thumbs:

I started with the GTR on Matterhorn, which was tremendous fun, except for the tank slappers in the fast downhill section, which kept catching me out at the limit. There's some painfully slow and tight sections for such a powerful and wide motor, and the management of the mass of the GTR was quite tricky.

Next up the Tesla on Spa. Very eerie going round in near total silence but very rewarding to get it just right. The Tesla is a bit slow on the straights and you need to do the tiniest little steering adjustments in the bends to keep it on the tightrope between grip and the grass. It's a very strange car that loves to understeer in and mid corner, then just as you think you're getting away, it oversteers like mad. My favorite combo this one.

RBR in the Focus wasn't much fun for me, the understeer on the downhill, heavy braking, sharp bends was appalling. This, though not enjoyable, made it very taxing to get right. I don't know if I'm talking out of school here but the track limits on corners 1 & 2 and the last two are very forgiving. i.e. You can cut the hell out of the first two and go super wide on the last two without the lap being ruled invalid by the computer.

Times

RBR 1:50.331 (TCS 1, ABS 1.)

Spa 2:51.083 (TCS 3, ABS 1.)

Matterhorn 1:45.690 (TCS 1, ABS 1.)

Completely stock cars, as they come from the dealer. Manual transmission. No oil, no washing! I did about 15 laps of each to gather those times.

Firstly, what an interesting combination of tracks and cars you've put together :thumbs:

I started with the GTR on Matterhorn, which was tremendous fun, except for the tank slappers in the fast downhill section, which kept catching me out at the limit. There's some painfully slow and tight sections for such a powerful and wide motor, and the management of the mass of the GTR was quite tricky.

Next up the Tesla on Spa. Very eerie going round in near total silence but very rewarding to get it just right. The Tesla is a bit slow on the straights and you need to do the tiniest little steering adjustments in the bends to keep it on the tightrope between grip and the grass. It's a very strange car that loves to understeer in and mid corner, then just as you think you're getting away, it oversteers like mad. My favorite combo this one.

RBR in the Focus wasn't much fun for me, the understeer on the downhill, heavy braking, sharp bends was appalling. This, though not enjoyable, made it very taxing to get right. I don't know if I'm talking out of school here but the track limits on corners 1 & 2 and the last two are very forgiving. i.e. You can cut the hell out of the first two and go super wide on the last two without the lap being ruled invalid by the computer.

Times

RBR 1:50.331 (TCS 1, ABS 1.)

Spa 2:51.083 (TCS 3, ABS 1.)

Matterhorn 1:45.690 (TCS 1, ABS 1.)

Completely stock cars, as they come from the dealer. Manual transmission. No oil, no washing! I did about 15 laps of each to gather those times.

Glad you enjoyed the challenges, sorry RBR wasn't your cup of tea, I was quite enjoying that one, although I hadn't realised when I started it quite how forgiving the track limits would be which does take away from it a little. Got some time this afternoon now I think so will have a proper go at each one. Will update OP to include your times, do you want to share your psn gamertag Stu and do you want it putting up next to your time?

No probs, we all go for different combos. The challenge is turning ones you don't find easy around, so I'll get to grips with RBR and the Focus with a little time.

Edit: Forgot about the tag, I'll add it.

No worries, I have to admit I hadn't realised quite how much you could cut off the corners, I am now finding that almost whatever I do the lap is not made invalid. I am still enjoying the RBR one though as trying to keep on top of the focus understeer while keeping momentum up feels like a fine balancing act, especially through the 3 quick bends half way round the circuit.

Any way, cut a couple more seconds off the first two, not gone back to matterhorn yet, I did have some help though:

IMG_20160409_151515_zps6zyyq8cs.jpg

No probs, we all go for different combos. The challenge is turning ones you don't find easy around, so I'll get to grips with RBR and the Focus with a little time.

Edit: Forgot about the tag, I'll add it.

Was sat there wondering how on Earth my original post had been updated with your gamertag until I remembered you have mod magic

Update for Spa 2:49.421

Had good go at this this morning, you're setting a fast pace mate :thumbs:

13_Belgium_EN_CMYK_300dpi.jpg

I know there's a tenth out there in Eau Rouge and a couple more through Pouhon to Curve Paul Frere, but I need a break and it's car washing weather!

You aren't wrong. Am sat in mine at the moment having a breather. Washed, clayed, and then 3 stage paint treatment, clean Polish and wax. Full interior hoovered and wiped down. Just contemplating treating the leather seats to some feed and restore stuff.

On topic I reckon I have a few tenths from malmedy to pouhon entrance over my best time. Although I consistently am a tenth or two down by the end of the kemmel straight. Absolutely nailed eau rouge on my best time so far. Apart from that reckon there is a few more tenths here and there if I knitted together all my best sectors. I found I consistently improved on this one by shifting brake balance forward slightly to help with the big stops into les combes and bus stop.

The one that's winding me up is matterhorn. I know I have at least a second there if not more. But it's sooo hard to keep every bend together as the bumps etc have the car so on edge.

If I have more time once I have finished out here I will have another go.

Edited by jowen7448

I had to upload this for two reasons; one the battered state of the GTR after a few "moments" going at it on Matterhorn and two because at no point on this lap did I feel like the car was under control :lol:

The circuit is just mad at high speed! Great choice :thumbs:

1:41.507 but there's loads more out there if you have the minerals and a bit of luck!

• Like 1

Well done, good on u for admitting untoward tactics. I'm considering pulling RBR as the track limits seem to be somewhere outside of Austria.

Well I was dedicated to finding the quickest way to cut the corners! Theres a skill to it!

Wow nice one, that lap looks very under control.

Didn't feel it flying throug the air over that huge downhill :lol:

That did make me chuckle. Having another go at this had been added to my todo list, I will reclaim first prize muahaha :boxing: