Detailing for a beginner

mbs

Never been into this before, always just been a wash and quick polish man but after seeing some of the results on here I fancy having a go. As a novice can someone recommend the basic products I need and the best place to source them.

Never been into this before, always just been a wash and quick polish man but after seeing some of the results on here I fancy having a go. As a novice can someone recommend the basic products I need and the best place to source them.

Oh come on.... in the same place you just posted this, is this! And its a sticky!

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2878

:headhurt:;)

Detailing takes a lot of time but is very rewarding. One serious tip, there arent any quick fixes. And get ready for all the stupid comments from passers by. ;)

Yeah my neighbours take the **** after a 8hr stint, but thankfully haven't done one for a while.....! :blush:

Detailing takes a lot of time but is very rewarding. One serious tip, there arent any quick fixes. And get ready for all the stupid comments from passers by. ;)

Yeah my neighbours take the **** after a 8hr stint, but thankfully haven't done one for a while.....! :blush:

Yeah very rewarding..............

Especially when it goes an rains all afternoon an youv'e got a motorway drive ahead of you :dry:

Yeah very rewarding..............

Especially when it goes an rains all afternoon an youv'e got a motorway drive ahead of you :dry:

Couldn't agree more, and always the way!!

BTW, that guide lists only a few brands, and there are hundreds out there. Depending how often you want to touch wax up, what finish you want etc there are better products than others.

Try a few and see what ones you like. But the general rule is you can't rush the big jobs. A wash. dry, and wax touch up is a quick job, but all the other jobs need attention. :);)

what have you been doing with your neighbour. Dirty Boy :p

That's why we have not seen so much of him Mike. ;):lol:

Work my arse :lol:

MBS - what colour is your 350? I ask b'cos different waxes work better on different colours. For example, Blackfire Wet Diamond is a very good range of products for Black or Blue cars.....

Rich at Polishedbliss.co.uk will be able to help you for sure. But also check out www.detailingworld.co.uk for a boat load of info and suppliers. I use cleanandshiny.co.uk and polishedbliss mainly.

Basics are 2 buckets, one with a gritt guard. A good quality mitt (rinsed on the gritt guard after EVERY panel), some Snow Foam (and Karcher Foam Lance for your jet wash), a good quality drying towel and microfibre cloths. Oh, some quick detailer would be good too.

If you're new, then stay away from clay barring your vehicle until you're a bit more experienced.

Enjoy. :teeth:

MBS - what colour is your 350? I ask b'cos different waxes work better on different colours. For example, Blackfire Wet Diamond is a very good range of products for Black or Blue cars.....

Rich at Polishedbliss.co.uk will be able to help you for sure. But also check out www.detailingworld.co.uk for a boat load of info and suppliers. I use cleanandshiny.co.uk and polishedbliss mainly.

Basics are 2 buckets, one with a gritt guard. A good quality mitt (rinsed on the gritt guard after EVERY panel), some Snow Foam (and Karcher Foam Lance for your jet wash), a good quality drying towel and microfibre cloths. Oh, some quick detailer would be good too.

If you're new, then stay away from clay barring your vehicle until you're a bit more experienced.

Despite a lot of professional detailers not being able to tell the difference between products when tested back to back on cars.....!!

+1 on the Clean and Shiny, just round the corner from me and a good bunch. Detailing World is a huge site and will consume your life! :blush:

Why do you recommend a Karcher, Snowfoam and avoiding clay barring? :)

If you want good wax products, get Swissvax or Blackfire stuff. It is more expensive, but it lasts longer and is better than your average Autoglym wax. A good waxing takes a lot of preparation time for the bodywork, and unless you plan to do this very often, get expensive stuff and do it thoroughly, but less frequent. My car gets a very light polish and then a wax every 3 months, and there still is wax on my car after that 3 month period because its good stuff.

Also once you have waxed the car, STAY AWAY from car washes and the likes, even the ones where you just hose down the car with some kind of soap (without brushes), because the soap is too aggressive and will remove the wax layer!

I'm not inventing this, a friend of mine has a detailing business and does cars all the time so I guess he knows what he is talking about ;)

If you want good wax products, get Swissvax or Blackfire stuff. It is more expensive, but it lasts longer and is better than your average Autoglym wax. A good waxing takes a lot of preparation time for the bodywork, and unless you plan to do this very often, get expensive stuff and do it thoroughly, but less frequent. My car gets a very light polish and then a wax every 3 months, and there still is wax on my car after that 3 month period because its good stuff.

Also once you have waxed the car, STAY AWAY from car washes and the likes, even the ones where you just hose down the car with some kind of soap (without brushes), because the soap is too aggressive and will remove the wax layer!

I'm not inventing this, a friend of mine has a detailing business and does cars all the time so I guess he knows what he is talking about ;)

Autoglym don't do wax! :p

Agreed, the soap can be too aggressive, justlike leaving Snowfoam soaking on a car....

Bit hesitant about replying after getting b.ll..ked for not spotting the sticky, but my baby is GM, was going to look at claying her but thanks for the advice.

Now, I understand the 2 bucket method, actually already use it, but not wishing to appear stupid, what is and where do I get a grit guard, not mentioned in the sticky.

Bit hesitant about replying after getting b.ll..ked for not spotting the sticky, but my baby is GM, was going to look at claying her but thanks for the advice.

Now, I understand the 2 bucket method, actually already use it, but not wishing to appear stupid, what is and where do I get a grit guard, not mentioned in the sticky.

You will be fine claying a car. The only thing you need to make sure is you use plenty of lubrication on the paint. If you don't you can cause marring with is damage caused by pulling clay across the paint. A Meguairs Quik Clay kit contains more than enough to do the car. :)

A grit guard can be got from here - http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=170

And never clay without waxing afterwards ;)

And use the right finishing products after the wax, for that extra shine B)

@H5: i mean the stuff you find at your regular car-accessories-store like Turtle-Wax and the likes ;)

I know bud. ;)

Before you wax, after claying you should polish and put sealant on. Claying pulls deposits out of the paintwork and the 'gaps' need protecting ie sealing up again. :)

The only thing to add after wax is a glaze, which would last for just a few hours in reality! But looks B) when it goes on. :)

Wash - clay - polish - sealant - wax - glaze. :thumbs:

Thanks everyone, just got out the barclaycard for the purchases. Will be waiting for a fine day to get started, whenever that comes, and will post pics of before and after, hopefully you will be able to tell the difference.

Thanks everyone, just got out the barclaycard for the purchases. Will be waiting for a fine day to get started, whenever that comes, and will post pics of before and after, hopefully you will be able to tell the difference.

Think you may now have an insight into how seriously this is taken.

Oh for the old days of the car wash :surrender: