Axle Nuts

evest

Hi folks,

Haven’t got my manual handy so: Question on the axle nuts – can they be re-used?

Recently had an MOT fail due to excessively wheel play = worn rear wheel bearing – however I’ve not had any noise/symptoms of it, even though I’m on 136K miles!  I did have a slight “wubwubwubwub†noise and on stripping down the hubs to get them ready for new bearings I noticed that on the corner in question the axle nut was barely more than finger tight (whereas had to heave on the breaker bar on opposite side).

Had everything stripped a while back when I redid my bushes, etc and pretty sure I torqued everything up correctly – concerned the nut may have worked it’s way loose hence my question.  On the other hand if they can re-used / re-torqued safely then I guess it’s possible that I must have not tightened correctly last time.

For now have re-torqued and the noise has gone away – while get the MOT re-checked this week to see if the wheel play has definitely gone.

Cheers!