Track rod end ball joints...?

hyeung

Hi,

Had an Mot advisory for some play developing on the front nearside track rod end ball joint. But not really noticed any knocking noises as such...so might be early signs.

I've got a p2 service due and now looking to get this issue recitifed. I was recently quoted 97+vat for the part alone (Genuine Nissan); I assume this is just for a single side. And about 55+vat for labour plus an extra 55+vat for 4 wheel alignment after.

A couple of questions...

1) although it appears to be only one side affected, is it best practice to get the track rod ends replaced across both sides at the same time?

2) what's the standard labour time for replacing one side of the track rod end? I believe the price I was quoted is about 1 hr. That sound about right?

3) Is there better aftermarket options available, and at a cheaper rate compared with the Nissan ones?

Looks like it's gonna be rather pricey, pair of Nissan ones at 200+vat, 110+vat (2hr) labour and 55+vat for alignment stretching it to almost 700 :(

Thanks,

HY

Just looking to get some advice and options?

The price they quoted sounds about right. However it's worth getting the parts youself and paying an independent garage labour.

Or if you're handy with a spanner, ratchet and have a jack (worth buying if not)it's an easy job to do. Then just take it to a garage to get the alignment done.

You'd save alot of money

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The garage is an independent, but asked them to quote us Nissan parts to get an idea on costs.

You had these rod ends replaced? Did you do both sides at the same time?

If I get the Nissan parts they'd be the same price as quoted, unless there are cheaper and more superior aftermarkets that others are using on the forum?

Any suggestions please....

I haven't replaced mine yet, you can just replace one but it's always advised to change in pairs.

Try a few of the traders on here i.e.

Torqen

Tarmac sports

Zedmanalex

(sure there's more)

They'll sell either oem parts or equivalent quality aftermarket parts I sure would be cheaper.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

For new, genuine Nissan parts PM Ewen at Clark Motorsport. I think Cougarstore and Horsham also do genuine parts too - you're spoils for choice :)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/93-professional-traders/

Thanks...have PM Ewen for prices.

Did a forum search, and surprised there's little chat on the subject of replacements/aftermarkets....so possibly most would just stick with the standard Genuine Nissan ones?

So far the estimated 700 for the track rod ends on both sides is already a push :( also got a p2 to through in there...

When you mention ball joints, surely they are part of the track rod end. Unless you're talking about other ball joint parts...

So far the estimated 700 for the track rod ends on both sides is already a push :( also got a p2 to through in there...

When you mention ball joints, surely they are part of the track rod end. Unless you're talking about other ball joint parts...

sorry, i was talking about the bottom ball joint. Edited by Rock_Steady