Grinding, Whining brakes!

iwanprice12

Hoping someone can help! Been having a few problems with the Zed lately (and haven't had much time to sort the problems until now!)

When the car is started, once I start driving (around 200-300 yards), when the brake is pressed there is a whining/grinding sound. And a 'judder' through the brake pedal. Sounds a bit like the ABS pump is trying to kick in. Anyone else has this trouble?

I have mentioned on another thread that the ABS, Slip diff & traction control lights come on, once this happens the juddering/whining/grinding on the brakes stop. I'm just pursuing some advice before I start buying parts & the problem still exists.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Iwan

Didn't you say in your other thread that one of the codes you pulled was the abs sensor? Surely got to be worth changing it if you have this related problem?

That's what it mentions on the OBD 2 (rear left abs sensor) but it just feels as if the 'whine' is coming from the front. My brother in law is meant to be having a go at a couple of jobs for me over the weekend. Will buy the sensor to see if it solves the problem.

Several codes have come up that baffle me a bit! (Cruise control, battery voltage)

Thsnks

Found this on a Nissan forum:

"I got this from an Infiniti/Nissan tech.

Yes the "spring unwind" type noise is a normal noise. Once the self test is done it is normal to hear no further noises related to the system. Usually you'll only hear the noise on the first cold trip of the day, but this isn't always the case. And yes the noise varies from a thump to a "spring unwind"."

Found the following on an NSX forum, may also apply to Zs:

"It's supposed to make that noise _occasionally_. Whenever the stored pressure gets low, it has to run the pump for a little bit. Unless it's doing it all the time, or throws a warning light, I wouldn't worry about it."

Edited by colesl4w
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I had a noise from my O/S rear wheel on the way to work. Checked it when I got there and it was a loose nuts on the N/S front wheel.

Son had a dodgy wheel bearing on the O/S front. Was actually the N/S Rear.

Lesson? Sounds travel in a car, and the affected part may be in a completely different place to where the sound is coming from.

Ahh that explains the noise. Possibly. I thought it was my car loosing a bit of traction on the first movement sometimes and the systems jumping in a bit over keen lol Not all the time just sometimes,always been there, never bothered me. Not so sure about having pedal judder though, that can't be right...

Maybe the judder was to do with the ball joints (banana bar on driver side needed changing as well). Everything seems ok at the moment, back in love with the car after a few frustrating months!

Rattle on the exhaust to sort now...

I'm the opposite... hating my car right now... balljoint banana f&*%I$! thing being fitted Tuesday...and a drop link on the other side. I hate...HATE the front end of my car, bits just fall off or fail like leaves off a bloody tree. No doubt ...and good god fingers crossed it is fixed by wed and I will love it again and immediately celebrate by going out and overtaking something... pml

• Like 1