Whats in a number!

stanski

Hi - had a strange day today managed to look at the following cars in showrooms all on the same day - not intentionally !

Fiat 500 - Well they have done a really good job on it - looks great in the flesh, actually fairly well built (for a Fiat - sorry Jap car snobbery comming out there) probably as its made in Poland and not Italy!

I think Diesel version does something like 70 mpg which is ace however its only really good for midgets - not much room in the back - my head was touching the roof, and the front seat lowered as much as can be and my erm head was touching the roof (I am 5ft 10 not a 7 footer or anything!!) :lol: Shame I did'nt go for a run in it - but tempting as a town car (sorry ex classic car man so like this retro stuff)!

New Mazda 6 - wowsers they have done a great job on it - looks better in the flesh (Have I just said that before?) ideal for motorway lugging looks good inside and out - really excellent build quality ( I do think Mazda have the nicest interiors for Jap cars) I think its based on the new Ford Mundane chassis - which erm is'nt my cup of char - but Mazda have done a really nice job of it.

Chrysler 300C CRD - Okay I know I know - but in black with dark windows cant be beaten - again an option for me and my motorway life, a lot of car for the money and of course the diesel is on a par with my ditchfinder roughly on fuel economy and I guess it will sail along the motorways with ease. As a second hand purchase it has to be the bargain of the centruy and of course its a bit different to your average 4 door saloon! I do think they should have a chat with a few Japanese engineers to point them in the direction of building a car that does'nt look like some of its bits its been made from cornflakes boxes cut out and sprayed silver though? I mean when you move the shift leaver you dont expect the surround bezel to move with it do you! :yuck: Every one I have seen has corroded alloys even brand new ones - at least Toyota alloys corrode after 12 months!

Nissan 350Z (Have you heard of them?) :lol: At last I get to actually see one in a showroom! Silver Coupe - wowsers! F***in fantastic! B) It looked the dogs and having a proper rummage around inside - I think they have done a great job of the interior, of course the outside is top stuff. Fortunately I resisted a test drive - will save that one for later in the month. It was just soooooo much better than I ever expected - and sorry to say this but even though I am after a ragtop the coupe does appear to have the edge on looks with the roof line.......... :yahoo: Well on a miserable rainy day - I suppose for that one days sunshine the Ragtop has it!

There was also a white one parked in the forecourt - that looked bleedin fab also - yes I know white but hey I dont mind white!

Efforts must be doubled I will have to have just half a bean on toast each day to save the money quicker, leave heating off and use the sleeping bag! Eat chillis to keep warm and use the steam off my p** to warm the kettle via an interconnecting heat exchanger system!!! :lol::headhurt:

Just one question please: 350Z - does it just have that 1x 12V take off point between the seats or is there another one somewhere on the dash or under the dash maybe??

Stan

Regarding cig lighter - Not sure on MY08, but on my MY04 there was one low down on the passenger side... perfect for plugging in a sat nav. JDMs don't have this I think.

White, don't be embaressed for liking white ... there are a few of us in lurv with white .... including me

My boss is considering the 300c, I love em. The big engined one is faster than the 350z by quite some margin, don't think it will handle as well though.

New one is a 6.1litre HEMI with 425bhp ... but it's heavy and has american suspension :scare:

Wow. its the 5.7 litre i was thinking of, supposed to be around 5 secs 0-60mph. the stopping distance would concern me more!

My boss is considering the 300c, I love em. The big engined one is faster than the 350z by quite some margin, don't think it will handle as well though.

New one is a 6.1litre HEMI with 425bhp ... but it's heavy and has american suspension :scare:

Wow. its the 5.7 litre i was thinking of, supposed to be around 5 secs 0-60mph. the stopping distance would concern me more!

That's why I went with something with some large brakes :teeth:

My boss is considering the 300c, I love em

Me too I think they looked ace when they first appeard - and the prices are tumbling fortunately for us second hand buyers - its still an option for me incase I cant afford a 350Z - but I wonder if its just too corporate like the Mazda 6 ! Bloke up the road has a black one with all black windows SRT models - looks top! :thumbs: I just wonder about the quality I have to say I was not impressed ! Servicing costs are about the same as a 350Z though?

12V cig lighter

Yes that was the reason I asked - to plug my fm doodar for ipod and also the satnav ?

Thanks

Stan

Seems like a sh1t load of car for the money. My driver on the weekend (not as posh as it sounds, business taxi service!) said they're considering a move from Mercs to the 300c. Apparantly the 300c is based on an older model E class, same chassis.

said they're considering a move from Mercs to the 300c

I think a lot of hotel chains moved form Mercs to 300C's they have to be a lot cheaper than Mercs - and yes they are based on the old E series Merc Chassis but I am sure large hotel chains have enough buying power to take advantage of the weak dollar etc! Good luck to them - 300C's look far more interesting than the industry standard Merc anways!

Oh well stick with the 350Z path though and kep saving! :scare:

Regarding cig lighter - Not sure on MY08, but on my MY04 there was one low down on the passenger side... perfect for plugging in a sat nav. JDMs don't have this I think.

White, don't be embaressed for liking white ... there are a few of us in lurv with white .... including me

It's the same. One between seats and one on the passenger side.

Good man :thumbs:

Not exactly a direct competitor to a 350Z but the 300c CRD was on my shortlist before I bought this time round. Its only any good in Black with the Bentley grille though.

The thing that put me off was the depreciation. Well, that and the fact the Zed is a million times better to drive :D

Not exactly a direct competitor to a 350Z but the 300c CRD was on my shortlist before I bought this time round

Yeah me too - I even took out a loan and was about to buy a 12 month old one in black (of course) but decided not to in the last minute! I just stood there and looked at it and thought no its not me - might look great but its gonna go round corners like a wardrobe on a bed of jelly and probably fall apart afer 3 years! So here I am keeping the faith.

So against my better judgement and common sense I am saving for a petrol sports car that costs £300 road tax p/a and a fortune in fuel and tyres and the worry of parking it anywhere, oh have I mentioned the thin paint ... oh well lifes too short we have to enjoy ourselves sometime dont we.... :thumbs:

Passenger side - where abouts I must haved missed that one - under the dash?

Yeah its a little flap in the lower right hand side of the passenger side dash, that pops down and there's a 12v adaptor thingiemebob there. :thumbs:

Efforts must be doubled I will have to have just half a bean on toast each day to save the money quicker, leave heating off and use the sleeping bag! Eat chillis to keep warm and use the steam off my p** to warm the kettle via an interconnecting heat exchanger system!!! :lol::headhurt:

Stan, are you Scottish? You sound like an aberdonian to me!

Put hot water in a thermos at work and take it home! :lol:

Good luck with the saving!

Stan, are you Scottish? You sound like an aberdonian to me!

Put hot water in a thermos at work and take it home!

No I'm not Scottish but what a great idea !

- hey maybe I can grab a couple of sheets of loo roll from work per day and sneak them home to save me a few bob! :lol::lol:

We will have a top saving tips section on the forum for funding a :lol: Zed!