Name that clunking (video)

triciens

Hi all

My 08 Z has a pretty loud clunking when going at low speeds over uneven road surfaces. From reading around it seems like this is a common problem but not easy to diagnose.

The noise sounds like it's coming from directly below the driver or passenger seat. It doesn't seem to be coming from one side more than the other but it's difficult to tell. The clunking is pretty loud and continues even when braking (does that rule out the banana bar?).

I took it to the garage today and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The man had it up on a ramp and was prising different bits with a crowbar but couldn't find the problem.

Both front bushes were replaced quite recently as car had a knocking then, and that fixed that. But now this new knocking...

Here's a video of the noise. You might need to turn the volume up a bit...

Does anyone have any ideas?

The drop links are part of the suspension and are bolted to the end of the anti roll bar.

Very easy to disconnect and tie up out the way, (5 minute job) however I sense a lack of mechanical knowledge, so may be a plan just to ask the garage to do it for you.

However remember that the issue may be compression rod ball joints or bushings.

Looking at my receipts and it was the anti roll bar links that were recently replaced, not the bushes. So that rules that out.

I've just been for another drive and with left foot braking and keeping the speed steady the noise disappears. So that would suggest the compression arm ball joints? In which case I'd have to replace the entire arm. Hard to tell if it's the left or right side but if pushed I'd say left.

B A N A N A. B A R

D e f f o

I always wondered, if there is no obvious play / wear in the bush itself from applying a pry bar, how does one conclude whether it's the bush or the ball joint?

If it is compression rod bushing failure then that will be obvious and the compression rod will be bouncing off the chassis bracing.

There will be no obvious visual failure of the compression rod ball joint if it is worn and knocking.

• Like 1