HR ENGINE OIL GALLERY CONUNDRUM

Spoons

OK I read the topic on the issue with the HR engine oil gallery gaskets blowing with some major trepidation!

I was quite shocked really to think that on a performance engine that had not only been around as long as this one has. But also with the HR engine been a 90% revision on the DE, they would have not made such a crapy blunder in the engineering.

Sorry I'll get to the point and the question. I have no abnormal oil pressure issue yet, 'touch wood and pray to the God of combustion engines' however if it is a case of when not if then I'm all about prevention rather than cure.

My 2008 HR engined Z has done 60 thousand miles so unless my timing chain looked fetieuged/worn for any reason I would just be wasting money to replace it. However from what I can see and understand the timing chain has to be removed in order to get the oil gallery face plates off. Is this correct or has anyone done it or do they know if it can be done without removing the chain.

We dont remove the timing chain to do this job.

You need to remove a lot more on the 370 than the 350 as there is more room to work on the 350

Hi big thanks to you and everyone else that replied.

Can I just pick your brains a little more. If you don't mind. Just to Confirm then in order to get to the gaskets, is it a case of fan and rad removal. Then drive belts and pullys off and timing casing removed. After that you can get to all the bolts for the oil gallery plates and slide the plates out from behind the timing chain. In a nut shell?

Thanks again

Much easier and quicker just to pull the chain instead of farting around working round it.

Only takes minutes to re-time and refit the chain or fit a new chain, slippers, guides and tensioners.

Done around 6 of these and all but one wanted the full monty.

Alex. :)

Thanks for your input Alex.

After spending some more time looking at some photographs of the engine without the timing cover on. I fail to see how the gallery plates can be removed without taking the timing chain and cam gears off. Going from the photographs on the t shaped gallery the screws at either end are obscured by the left and right cam gear. Also on the lower of the two galleries the cam chain tensioner is in the way of at least one screw.

Obviously I don't have the engine open infront of me so this is why I was deferring to people with past experience or a bigger brain than me ;-).

Thanks for your input Alex.

After spending some more time looking at some photographs of the engine without the timing cover on. I fail to see how the gallery plates can be removed without taking the timing chain and cam gears off. Going from the photographs on the t shaped gallery the screws at either end are obscured by the left and right cam gear. Also on the lower of the two galleries the cam chain tensioner is in the way of at least one screw.

Obviously I don't have the engine open infront of me so this is why I was deferring to people with past experience or a bigger brain than me ;-).

Well now you know, and the only decision left to make is if you replace the chain, slippers, guides and tensioners when you are in there. :thumbs: