How to - Improve door seal effectiveness

veeg33

Been struggling all winter with steamy windows after I've parked my car over night or parked my car at work. I always have to sit my zed for around 10mins or so for the air con to dry them up and also the rear windscreen heater. I also have to wipe them down sometimes when it's pretty moist. And also they were frozen inside as well. My air conditioning still working fine and I don't have issue whilst I'm driving, just steamy once I turn off my engine and park it.

Been trying all sort dehumidifier but still having issue with steamy windows. I've also checked to ensure no leakage, especially where the spare wheel is.

Finally, by reading various comments in this forum, it seems like my seals are not as good as new (11yrs old).

Here's my temporary fix (trial and error)

veeg1.jpg.d579cfa8db9a4d7a48bd60060e4a4dfa.jpg

Yes, stuffed a microfiber cloth on both doors. And for the past few days, the condition in my zed has improved a lot. No steamy front windscreen, no steamy side windows and only a tiny bit at the rear. I suspect my rear tailgate is not sitting square due to one of the popper/stores missing. Overall, a massive improvement and I don't have to sit in a steamy zed...... B)

Here's the fix - black rubber sponge 10mm diameter, 50cm long

Bought from Ebay for £2.25 delivered.

veeg2.jpg.44877eded7e0c1f2e4902230b2d8425b.jpg

Simply cut about 12cm long, fold into half and stuff into the gap.

veeg3.jpg.828cc564d4673527301217a5fc132319.jpg

You'll be surprised how big the gap inside there and the seal has actually collapsed hence sealing at that top corner is poor.

veeg4.jpg.59a2d8b848e6bc845d97e73abc7606b1.jpg

Next, based on some research, I've bought some seal conditioner to soften all the seal. Bought it from eBay as well around £6.50 delivered. Gummi Pflege Stift from Germany.

veeg5.jpg.a5ad86506c999100b2d5500be37d7e11.jpg

Will be applying them later this weekend on all seal and will report back again. Simply just clean the rubber seal, then just use the applicator (just like shoe polish) all around the seal. This will also makes them nice and shiny black again

Disclaimer: This will only improve your seal, not completely renew them. And only works if your zed is not leaking.

EDIT: 16th Mar 2016 - Applied the Gummi stuff last weekend, got a nice shine on the rubber but weather isn't cold enough to check if it has improved the seal or not. Planned to apply few more coats to treat the seal and check next winter :scare:

• Like 1