Problem/advice needed - warranty/rac issue?

KS2006

Hi All,

Well had my car just over 3 months now (9 months old 07 model). Got to my sisters this afternoon - showed her fella the motor. Stood there while it was idling and hear awful noises from under the bonnet. Pop the bonnet and low and behold the fan belt is shredded :(

Didn't have my Nissan assistance card but have a family RAC policy

The told me the mechanic did not have a belt available. They then said as it was such a new car he wouldn't have one anyway and that he wouldn't fit it. It would be a warranty issue and would have to go to a Nissan dealer for fitting etc to maintain the warranty.

So now I'm left with losing half a day off work as the car needs to be taken on a low loader tommorow to our local Nissan dealer. I am assuming that the RAC will sort things out with the Nissan dealer and that it will be dealt with when we arrive.

I am expecting to not pay a penny to anyone but is a fan belt a consumable item and as such the Nissan dealer is going to want paying for it & fitting?

So is this a load of crap or how it should be done?

I wouldn't be hugely fussed out about the cost of a replacement fan belt, I'd be more concerned as to why it shredded..?

It's not something you would want to happen either on the move or far from home.

Perhaps it was a manufacturing defect with the belt?

Fan belts are classed as consumables but with such low mileage as in your case, then you wouldn't expect them to go. Replacement belt plus fitment shouldn't equate to more than £100. If the dealer has any heart, I'd at least expect them to fit it for free and only charge you for the belt.

Strange why it as failed so early?? Got to be either a defective belt or like already said somehow damaged by something else?? Think you would have a strong claim to a free replacement especially with that mileage. :)

I agree with Liam. A car that new should not have fan belts going. And I can't see how it would get hit, as there is an under tray on the Zed so things can't get sucked up into the engine bay really. I think you have reason to claim on warranty.

Cheers guys

Well I have now been told by the RAC that it's my job to contact the dealer and make sure they have a belt in stock and that it can be fitted. The RAC basically are gonna just do the flatbed moving. Wonder if it would be the same for a Micra.

No doubt I will find out cos it's an 07 it will be a week for a belt or something ridiculous.

I guess the Nissan RAC assistance is the same.

Update,

Well the RAC man has rear lift towed me to the local dealership. He checked the car before we left and the reason for the fan belt beiing shredded is because the water pump has seized.

The dealer told me next day for the fan belt which has now turned into 5 days. God knows how much longer the water pump is going to take to get.

I better get this done under warranty - I double checked and my car is only 7 months old. Wasn't even asked about courtesy car or anything and generally so far not impressed - lost a mornings work and won't have my car for probably a week :(

I hope this isn't the sign of things to come in terms of service or reliability otherwise as great as the car is it will be adios and back to something sensible.

never heard of a waterpump seizing on a Zed before ?? :wacko:

+1 - strange.....

It certainly should be covered on the warranty - the cause being a water pumps seizing after 7 months makes that pretty clear IMO.....

Hi Guys,

Well I've been told by the dealership there is nothing wrong with the water pump (even though the RAC guy who deffo knew his stuff has given me written details of it being siezed). So looks like belt replacement only atm.

Anyone got contact details for Nissan Customer Service as I'm concerned I'm gonna end up paying for a fanbelt replacement and then suprise suprise my engine is gonna go a knacker due to failed water pump etc.

I want to complain anyway - seems crap to me 4-5 days to get a belt. Don't launch a car in May 07 with a brand new engine if you haven't got the backup.

Also is it true for something like a fan belt that it would have to be done by Nissan to keep the warranty or could I have got my local mechanic who I trust to have done the job instead?

As you may guess I'm fairly pee'd off atm (I know things fail but I don't expect to lose my car for 5 days due to a fan belt needing changing).

Hi Guys,

Well I've been told by the dealership there is nothing wrong with the water pump (even though the RAC guy who deffo knew his stuff has given me written details of it being siezed). So looks like belt replacement only atm.

Anyone got contact details for Nissan Customer Service as I'm concerned I'm gonna end up paying for a fanbelt replacement and then suprise suprise my engine is gonna go a knacker due to failed water pump etc.

I want to complain anyway - seems crap to me 4-5 days to get a belt. Don't launch a car in May 07 with a brand new engine if you haven't got the backup.

Also is it true for something like a fan belt that it would have to be done by Nissan to keep the warranty or could I have got my local mechanic who I trust to have done the job instead?

As you may guess I'm fairly pee'd off atm (I know things fail but I don't expect to lose my car for 5 days due to a fan belt needing changing).

Give Nissan customer services a call, and explain the situation. THey should get onto a dealer and expedite part and job so you get it done quicker. And a courtesy car.

Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd

The Rivers Office Park, Maple Cross

Hertfordshire, WD3 9YS

General enquiries: + 44 (0) 8457 669966

Customer services: +44 (0) 1923 899334

Fax +44 (0) 1923 899918

Good luck. :thumbs: