Windscreen washer lines - where are they?

Mikevv

Hi guys, my front wipers don't work, so I checked if they were blocked, and they are not.

The back sprays fine, as do the (annoying) headlight washers, but the windscreen ones do not at all.

I checked it earlier and had my brother check for leaks.... it's coming out the bottom of my car, almost in the passenger front wheel arch area.

I was thinking maybe when they did my MOT and changed my exhaust they knocked it off somewhere or caused a cut/break in the line?

I can't get under the car, and the ground is wet/raining the moment so I was thinking someone might have a diagram of some sort to point me in the direction so I at least know what lines are what ;)

Any help would be appreciated - Don't fancy paying someone to "fix" my wipers and stuff like that :(

As far as I'm aware (04 DE Zed), passenger side reservoir is for headlight washer and driver side reservoir is for windscreen and rear. If it's leaking somewhere, I'm assuming the pump is working fine?

zedwasher_zpsws4za72k.jpg

I think the headlight washer reservoir is connected to the main reservoir, as I only need to top up the main reservoir. Looking at the diagram above (since all the windscreen pipes are on the driver side), looks like it's leaking from the headlight washer maybe? Also check both 'Check valve A' and 'Check Valve B', if I remember correctly, they are under the brake fluid cover. Remove the valve A and test washer to see if water reach this valve. If they are blocked or faulty, when you operate the washer pump, the pressure might force water to leak at the weakest point. You can buy a simple connector (8mm I think) without the non-return valve (Halfraud stock them).

If you failed to locate the leak, I think you'll need to remove your front bumper or if you on a ramp, remove the undertray as most of the pipes will be there.

note: Pic from US service manual, (section WW - page 33). UK model might be different.

Edited by veeg33

I actually just had the bumper off and did this over the weekend.

From the main washer fluid tank it goes to the headlight washer tank which is on the passenger side, if its leaking from this side it could be this tank thats causing it but i would have thought in that case your headlight ones wouldn't be working either.

Sounds simple but have you had someone pulling the washer jets stalk and listening for the pump? You should be able to hear it whine.

Bumper takes 15 mins to remove and will give you access to be definitive then.