hydrolocked?

kernow zed

It absolutely hammered it down in north cornwall this morning and large areas of the allen valley resembled paddy fields so i was being ultra cautious and going very slowly through the standing water. Anyway on my way back from essentials at tescos ie wine supplies i noticed a broken down car with black smoke billowing from it about a 100 metres from some water probably no more than 6 to 8 inches deep. I was going to stop and offer the use of my phone but he was already making a phone call but my question is whether he could have hydrolocked it going through that amount of water at speed. Also would it cause all the black smoke coming from it or was it just his engine deciding to go bang? I always drive really slowly through even modest standing water because of loss of control and my worry of causing a bough of water to go up to the air intake.

Don't really know but many hydrolocks are caused by bow waves created by traffic passing the opposite direction (thoughtless people in their 4X4's are especially good at this), although I wouldn't have thought that 8" was deep enough to cause a significant bow wave.

Pete

My dad recently drove his company 3 series through about a foot of water, engine died and couldn't be restarted. The air filter was full of water, like a sponge.

He was going through slowly, then decided to speed up cause he didn't want it to leak in through the door seals, the water came over the bonnet and it died about 20 feet later ;)

Needless to say, £23k worth of repairs wrote his car off. Weird thing is, the mechanics kept changing their minds, one said it turned over freely, the other said it was hydrolocked. Go figure.

Had a friend go through a similar amount of water in his shitty Peugeot 206 - it too sucked up a lot and died, couldn't stop laughing when he asked " is that bad? "

Edited by Mikevv