Belt Pulleys

black bear

Hi,

There has been many threads about belts slipping especially with Supercharging. Are there any manufacturers out there that make a wider pulley set? Vortech sell pulleys with 8 and 10 ribs for other vehicle applications, so if the Nissan pulleys were say 10 ribs wide then there would be over 60% more contact area. This would reduce tension required to drive without slipping, increasing life of bearings etc.

I'm looking into machining a full set in aluminium and maybe a 2.75" pulley from Vortech (they don't list a 2.86" in a 10 rib). I could machine the 2.87" also.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Is your car Supercharged and having belt slipping problems? If so have a look on this thread: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/100257-torqen-for-all-vortech-supercharged-guys-bracket-stiffener-to-eliminate-flexslipping/

More on here, but perhaps this is not what you need: http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/shop?category=%3F&Year=22&Make=1&Model=8&Engine=5

Hope this helps.

Adrian

TBH I don't think going from 2.75" to 2.86" is going to make that much difference, how do you arrive at 60% more contact area? I would be looking more at friction materials myself.

Hi, worked on principle standard 6 ribs, 10 ribs would be 66.67% wider giving 66.67% more contact area. 8-rib may be more viable 33.33% more contact area.

Hi Dave,

Is your car Supercharged and having belt slipping problems? If so have a look on this thread: http://www.350z-uk.c...e-flexslipping/

More on here, but perhaps this is not what you need: http://www.unorthodo...odel=8&Engine=5

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

In process of installing s/c. Bracket arrangement looks interesting but why bolt to body? When engine moves under hard acceleration it will apply load to s/c bracket possibly creating more slip (unless you have solid engine/transmission mounts. Maybe engine movement and s/c bracket flex work work together to keep belt tight?

Hi,

I have information that would benefit you. I have been working on an 8 rib setup for the vortech sc and was going to get them made in the US but if you have the skill to machine them, then get in touch for all the technical details.

I also have a solution for the crankshaft pulley and various belt wrap configurations to optimise anti-slip.

Hi,

There has been many threads about belts slipping especially with Supercharging. Are there any manufacturers out there that make a wider pulley set? Vortech sell pulleys with 8 and 10 ribs for other vehicle applications, so if the Nissan pulleys were say 10 ribs wide then there would be over 60% more contact area. This would reduce tension required to drive without slipping, increasing life of bearings etc.

I'm looking into machining a full set in aluminium and maybe a 2.75" pulley from Vortech (they don't list a 2.86" in a 10 rib). I could machine the 2.87" also.

Dave

That's odd, so 0.11" /2.794mm = an extra 4 ribs? and how can a difference of 0.11" in width equal 66.7% wider?

I dimensions above are Vortech supercharger drive pulley DIAMETERS in inches. The standard 6-rib k type belt is approx. 13/16" (20mm) wide. The 10-rib belt would be 1 3/8" (35mm) wide. Assuming that pulley diameters are the same then there is a contact area increase of more than 67% i.e. increase in width/original width x 100%. 15/20x100%= 75%

There is a small problem, Gates don't list a 10-rib belt @ 93" long (for 2.87" vortech pulley), but they list a 12-rib belt @ 93 1/8" long for about 19 GBP (Rockauto.co.uk) which would split to 10-rib.

Dave

What's your setup and how much hp are you expecting? Not many people have issues unless they are built block and aiming for the sky.

Looking for about 420whp.

I've had stock belt slip issues ever since i bought car 3 years ago. Tried Gates & Dayco. In summer no problem at all, in winter belt slips for 10 to 20 seconds (aircon, heater, lights, etc off) when starting in morning, annoying neighbors. Going to FI, with my luck it will slip all the time :rolleyes: so looking at best setup.