Looking for a metal worker ...

Mudman

Morning All

Looking to see if its possible to get a small set of skid plates fabricated to fit on the underside of the side skirts of the car. My Skirts are pretty low and about to get refurbished after Brittany Ferries tried their best to remove them using their ramp , so the body shop guy suggested fitting a small set on the low points so mainly front side possibly rear as well - he reckons he can fix them on no trouble so anyone out fancy a helping bit of a side project will pay for mats and time etc

PIc below -

854A728C-1C37-4617-878F-3E384FC2807C_zpshkkes1zz.jpg

• Like 1

I've done this on my front bumper, just got some alluminum sheeting, drew template off bumper, traced onto sheet cut out with tin snips, neatened edges, rivoted to underside, job done and not even bothered when I hear a scrape now as it always scrapes on the metal,I've got the marks to prove it haha

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

I've done this.......cut out with tin snips, neatened edges......

Having done quite a bit (way too much for one lifetime) of sheet metal work on the E type, I eventually found the best way to cut the sheet was with a decent Jigsaw and a fine metal blade. This way you don't distort the edges and a quick once over with a metal file is all that's needed. If you use stainless or aluminium, a rub down with a scotch pad after gives a nice brushed look.

Great idea, look forward to pics.

• Like 1

The skirts were £50 for the pair of fleabay - I have no idea what style they are and neither did the original seller - they came of a Red 350z in the Stoke area. Ypu can see it very small pic within pic. I have not seem them anywhere else and they do get comments - All well and good but not good if they have an occasional bash that trashes over time.

The Body Shop guys said the same thing about using rivets as the plates are not in view I can measure up a rough template and would have thought aluminium best mat ?

below were the pics and you can see wear on them. They were patched up and sprayed by RT Performance who fitted them - I don't thing Taras had any major problems just that they made the car look low without being physically lowerd if you get my drift. On the whole they are fine over speed bumps speed grounding does happen - had a real good one on the Wales weekend last year after the Aberdovey lunch break on the Saturday - caught a few of us !

ea41834b40d4ebe0befa8ab1f64febbb_zps07deec34.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...