How to make gauge cluster cover?

SavedbyGrace

Hey gang,

Curious if anyone knows how to fabricate one of those gauge cluster covers that are then typically upholstered in leather? Makes the Z look like a Lamborginis interior to some degree if that helps express what I mean. I've seen a Z interior in these forums that has one...the convertible with brown leather and brown suede interior...shag rug...black and white gauges....that car has the gauge cluster cover that I want to make. I have the leather, just need to build the shape.

I think people are using some form of foam but I haven't found the definitive answers I need yet. Is it "blue foam", balsa foam? I've found some of those foams online but not a big block of it, plus it seems pretty expensive? There has to be a pretty straightforward way to make on for cheap and then make it pretty.

I could make the thing out of a putty I think, but don't want a solid object right by my face sitting loose on the dashboard. :)

All help appreciated, will really look fantastic once it's done.

Why don't you post a pic as an example, as your explanation isn't exactly clear.

Sorry about that...here's a general approximation of what I want to make...but I want to make it out of something light weight and then cover it in black leather. In the pic...I'm referring to the shiny arc of polished aluminum...that type of hood is common in Lambo interiors. And if anyone's wondering the pic is a 240z, just highly modified for racing.

Thanks sincerely for your help, or if you know someone I should reach out to I'd appreciate the tip. Saw it discussed a year or two ago, but can't find the threads and don't know if anyone ever really described in full how they were made.

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Project-Cars/LSR-S13/i-9kC6KHk/0/L/IMG3535-L.jpg

Edited by SavedbyGrace

You've got a couple of options as I see it:

1: Make a template out of alloy or something similar, then take a mould of that and fill it with expanding foam.

2: Buy a big block of modelling foam and get carving!

Neither option is going to be particularly easy or cheap. Plus you need to think how you're going to attach it to the dashboard itself... again, not necessarily an easy task.

:thumbs:

if i was doing it id make a mock up in cardboard cover it in clingfilm and start layering fiberglass patches and resin build a few layers up and let it set remove the cardboard and use body filler and hardner over it and smooth off with sand paper quick primer then cover in what ever you want

Edited by cov350z

if i was doing it id make a mock up in cardboard cover it in clingfilm and start layering fiberglass patches and resin build a few layers up and let it set remove the cardboard and use body filler and hardner over it and smooth off with sand paper quick primer then cover in what ever you want

Yeah we think alike....I've already made the cardboard mockup, just not sure how to make it solid. One suggestion was spray it with truck bed liner? Couldn't find any examples of that on YouTube yet, but I haven't done my usual effort of research...just scanned the topic. I'm trying to stay away from fiberglass as I don't have the expertise nor the materials and sanding fiberglass I hear is a pain in the butt, and very time consuming. Trying to find something easier to sand...like the balsa foam idea above...but the expense of balsa foam is what's making me look for alternative solutions...I don't mind work....but sanding aggravates some injuries I'm nursing.

Anybody know much about expanding foam, the Part A mixed with Part B types? I'm thinking maybe I could make my own foam, carve that, seal it with something, cover it with leather, and attach with industrial strength velcro on the bottom where the velcro would never be seen.

Or can the cardboard mockup just be covered in duraglass? (not sure how hard duraglass is to sand, but I know fabricators really like that stuff online) But....I don't want this thing hard and heavy and able to crack my head in case it came loose in an accident. So the form is my number one consideration....but again...balsa foam is very expensive.

All ideas and help welcome...and I like the idea of making a mold....but I don't have the supplies for all that yet...researching it though...as then I'd be able to make more later in case mine got damaged, or possibly sell them...driving around with my cardboard mockup really does add a nice touch to the driving view...more of a race car cockpit feel, very classy.

http://s234.photobuc...C_4474.jpg.html

quick google i know this is for the 370 but shudnt be too hard to mod the top of a 350 cluster

There ya go.....and thank you....what term did you use to google? I didn't think to try 370, but that's it...I just need to know how to make a lightweight version of that inexpensively, although I'd change the shape to be a simple clean arc. Clean is classy.

There was a guy on this forum a couple of years ago that had one really well done on his Z....I'll find the pic and post it up within a day. It's on a different computer I think. Has to be foam I'm guessing.

Let me ask this....anyone know various ways to stiffen up cardboard permanently, or what to spray on it so it becomes more of a solid but lightweight object? Other than fiberglass or truck bed coating. (trying to learn more about fabricating as I have other projects in mind after this one)

i searched 350z alcantara dash in images as im sure id seen a few of the cluster tops done before in it so thought it would give you an idea.

wouldn't like the idea of having cardboard on my dash even if covered its a potential fire hazard but you could coat it in cheap pva clue thatll give it some strength like the old mask molds you make as a kid cover the balloon in paper dipped in it then pop the balloon same principal here just over the cardboard.

dont think theres anyway not to be sanding anything down as ull need a good serface for the leather/material to go over

got me looking into doing this now though ;)

Still looking for any additional ideas, but a big thank you to every post in this thread...much appreciated sincerely!

If I learn anything useful for the group I'll post back. I'm going to do this project God Willing, just have to figure out which materials, order them, and then get to work.

Fun stuff!

• Like 1

i searched 350z alcantara dash in images as im sure id seen a few of the cluster tops done before in it so thought it would give you an idea.

wouldn't like the idea of having cardboard on my dash even if covered its a potential fire hazard but you could coat it in cheap pva clue thatll give it some strength like the old mask molds you make as a kid cover the balloon in paper dipped in it then pop the balloon same principal here just over the cardboard.

dont think theres anyway not to be sanding anything down as ull need a good serface for the leather/material to go over

got me looking into doing this now though ;)

Do it mate! The curves really bring out the sloping lines of the dashboard and make the driver view fun. :)

I actually love the aluminum one...I love classic cars.....but aluminum would be far too much work since I have no skills in that area yet. Working an english wheel isn't easy for a beginner. And glare off that aluminum would be a nightmare....but it looks stunning. :)

I'm ok with sanding a soft material...it's sanding things that require a lot pressure that can aggravate me right now. Foam will probably be what I need to use....but which foam is best and cheapest....that's my next search.

Edited by SavedbyGrace

there an answer to that

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B009T54SAK

Thanks for that, I've seen the vinyls before, but if I was going to do this hood I'd either want real metal like that aluminum hood in the picture I linked to in my post above, or I want it to be leather. The vinyl just doesn't have the same presence as real metal does.