how much do companies like bonsai add on?

dazzerbone

I've dealth with Bonsai quite a lot.

generally speaking, about 65 percent of the final bid price is for the car itself and japanese auction/agent fees. The other 35 percent covers bonsai fee, shipping, import duty, VAT, SVA test, MoT and DVLA registration.

I now buy direct from japan as its cheaper and saves loads of time.

I'm in the process of importing with Bonsaicars at the moment having won an auction. It's all still at the early stages and the car is still in Japan but I've made the main chunk of the payment.

This is a pretty useful guide which outlines the costs:

http://www.epoi.com/faq.html

Add on to that the Bonsaicars fee of £695 + VAT and that's pretty much everything covered.

Wise folk on here may be able to give you much better advise though! ;)

Is this the 1st time you've imported using Bonsai? If so, you'll need the patience of a saint. I have imported 3 cars with them in the past and the shortest time I had to wait was 4 months. They are good people but just very busy (because they're so popular I guess!). Anyway, good luck with the import.

Thanks JDM, I'll lower my expectations in that case!

Have you found their prices to be accurate or have they mysteriously crept up?

I have done all my sums and it looks like the final on the road price is about £2k higher than my bid price and I'm still waiting for them to comment on it.

Am I right in thinking that import duty is calculated as 10% of the purchase price PLUS shipping, and then VAT is 17.5% of the purchase price, shipping and the import duty? If so then I'm going to be paying a lot more than planned... :scare:

I'm surprised that you don't have a fixed price you are paying to be honest. When I had my car imported we started at the final price I was preparted to pay and worked backwards from that - therefore the importer new exactly how much he had to bid with at auction after deducting all the costs.

Thanks JDM, I'll lower my expectations in that case!

Have you found their prices to be accurate or have they mysteriously crept up?

I have done all my sums and it looks like the final on the road price is about £2k higher than my bid price and I'm still waiting for them to comment on it.

Am I right in thinking that import duty is calculated as 10% of the purchase price PLUS shipping, and then VAT is 17.5% of the purchase price, shipping and the import duty? If so then I'm going to be paying a lot more than planned... :scare:

Thats correct - the tax bit is a real pain in the wallet. The overall final bid price should be accurate as the Yen does not fluctuate so much in the space of 24 hours. Currently though, importing from Japan is costing a lot more as we're suffering from the weak pound - its 216 Yen to the pound today, and when I last imported it was 231. That in itself can make a big difference to the total cost.

I'm surprised that you don't have a fixed price you are paying to be honest. When I had my car imported we started at the final price I was preparted to pay and worked backwards from that - therefore the importer new exactly how much he had to bid with at auction after deducting all the costs.

That's exactly the way it's supposed to work with Bonsai but for some reason my own calculations are coming out higher and I'm waiting for their response as to why. I'm just hoping I've got something wrong, and if I haven't I'm not really sure where I stand as the price won't be quite as good as it was.

The overall final bid price should be accurate as the Yen does not fluctuate so much in the space of 24 hours. Currently though, importing from Japan is costing a lot more as we're suffering from the weak pound - its 216 Yen to the pound today, and when I last imported it was 231. That in itself can make a big difference to the total cost.

I actually did get stung by that as well. The exchange rate dropped sharply overnight between me checking it and making the transfer, and as a result I've just got to accept the additional £600 for nothing. :angry:

Shame - the yen was around the 250 mark in July!

I really hope this doesn't turn into a horror story. :scare:

I actually did get stung by that as well. The exchange rate dropped sharply overnight between me checking it and making the transfer, and as a result I've just got to accept the additional £600 for nothing. :angry:

Shame - the yen was around the 250 mark in July!

I really hope this doesn't turn into a horror story. :scare:

Bonsai are long established so don't worry too much. From my experience, if you agree a maximum all-in bid price and your bid is successful then you will not pay a penny more apart from the extra due to currency fluctuations. Just out of interest, which Z did you get in the end?

Roadster ver-T, June 2007 (new model), 3000 miles, Grade 5, Night blue, white / grey leather (can't remember the official name), 18" standard wheels , tiptronic.

Similar to this:

http://www.nissanusedcars.co.uk/control ... tID=531019

To an importing expert such as yourself (:D), what price do you think is reasonable, both in terms of the total cost to import it and then how much it might be worth once it's in the UK?

Its difficult to guess without knowing the yen price of the car i.e. your initial down payment.

But anyway, just suppose you paid 3.1 million yen, then at an exchange rate of 220 my guess is the car will cost about 20,000 all in.

Does that sound anywhere near your max agreed bid? If so, it'll be a very good deal compared to UK equivalent.

Well that makes me feel better, and I should just stop worrying I think.

Max agreed bid was £18,600 but having been stung by the change in exchange rate that will be over £19k now. Yen price was 2,995,000 and at the slightly worse rate of 217 to the pound so still a bit concerned that the total is going to be a fair bit above the agreed maximum, but I'll trust Bonsai for now.

Cheers dude, I'll get some pics up when she arrives :D

p.s. that equivalent UK car for which the link didn't work was £29,850.

I'm researching the imort route at the mo

Currency trends can be found here

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=GBP&to=JPY

See below

5 and 1 year trends with a 3 month trends

The single year trend is not in our favour as were getting less JPY for our GBP :scare:

A good site for currency and banking news:

http://www.currencynews.co.uk/forex/jpy/

Want to get more in depth? Google "Forex news" for currency news.

I posted my full cost with Bonsai about halfway down this thread:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

/D

Thanks that's useful to see, and also good to see that Bonsai haven't put any of their prices up in 18 months.

Which of those costs includes the shipping - is it to ITS MARITIME UK along with the duty and VAT?

Predicting currency movements!? Good luck! :headhurt:

It was part of my research. Just sharing it.. I'd be trading currency if I could do that :)

Its impossible to predict whats happening in the short term but in general over the past year the trend is downwards. Somthing to bear in mind. The short term changes are more to do with luck than judgment.

• 1 month later...

Hi bud and welcome to the forum, stick a post up in the intro section so we can a proper hello..

Think the standard import time if buying from an importer is about three months. A few guys on here have done the whole transaction themselves though and as far as I know, JDM Lover is one of them.

Can you not use people like MoneyCorp to fix the rates, that way you know what price you will be paying in yen.

Good advice. I'm kicking myself for not having researched this properly before I made my payment. I just had to watch the rates spiral downwards whilst waiting for my funds to transfer from one account to another before I could make the payment.

Even fluctuations on the day meant that the price I calculated at the time of making payment had increased by £300 by the time it was actually processed a few hours later. Total amount ended up being £800 more than it would have been on the day before, but I guess you win some and lose some.