Alternator or battery?

thedon

The drive belt needs re tensioning.

Seconding this. Ultimately it sounds like your belts are too loose either because they've stretched or are the wrong size. Retension or fit new ones.

Thanks both, the belts are gates from Cougar store, so i'm sure they are right, perhaps they have just stretched over time, I remember seeing a guide to tensioning the belts that doesn't require taking the car of the ground (if you have skinny arms) but for the life of me can't find it now.

Here you go :

http://www.350z-uk.c...ux-drive-belts/

Just start at step 4. I think one of the bolts is left threaded - can't remember which one though (helpful I know).

First time I did this I stripped the threads of the tensioner lock doing it up so be careful.

If your searching for something on the forum use just google rather than this sites in built search engine.

Tie some string onto the end of your socket wrench and drape it over the front of the car. Your bound to drop it at some point and this makes finding it again a lot easier!

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

Here you go :

http://www.350z-uk.c...ux-drive-belts/

Just start at step 4. I think one of the bolts is left threaded - can't remember which one though (helpful I know).

First time I did this I stripped the threads of the tensioner lock doing it up so be careful.

If your searching for something on the forum use just google rather than this sites in built search engine.

Tie some string onto the end of your socket wrench and drape it over the front of the car. Your bound to drop it at some point and this makes finding it again a lot easier!

Ah thats the one Thanks for providing, ill try and give this a go.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys just an update to this as i have resolved it now.

I went to check the belts but they were already tight, any more and they would probably snap.

So my mechanic inspected for free and said the same thing, tension is correct not loose at all, slight shine on the alternator pulley but nothing to be concerned about.

His conclusion is that the belts could be a bad batch and recommends changing the belts first. Major props to Mitz at Cougar store for getting new belts to me for free under warranty, had them changed and the squeal is now gone, even on cold start up's :) Happy days! Just hope it stays this way now.

• Like 1