Help - Eml on and oil gauge doesn't move

davedutch

just because an engine develops more power it doesn't necessarily follow that it will also produce more heat.

Unless there is a corresponding increase in engine efficiency, more power will always equal more waste heat (basic thermodynamics).

Just as a matter of background, oil temperature sensors were not installed on early VQ37DE motors, but were installed on the Rev-up and VQ35HR versions.

There is a fault code for engine overtemperature - P1217. This code has a one-trip detection logic for turning on the CEL, but as pointed out, does not result in the engine running in limp home mode. The service manual lists several possible caused, but concentrates on the cooling fans as the most likely cause.

Err you where the one who mentioned limp mode! :wacko:

The P1217 code is coolant temp triggered, and as engines are designed to run an ideal oil temp or 90-100c the cooling system is designed

to accommodate this, regardless of power output, FI engines produce more heat regardless of power output, yet they still run the same temps.

The fact that Nissan didn't add a modene to the HR is kind of daft, was the coolant system expanded to try and offset this?

Thought I would add something to this thread, I bought a 370 New Year's Eve and on the way home had an 'erratic' oil temp gauge, 70 degrees, then 150 degrees then back to 70 degrees....

At the same time, I also noticed that the power delivery was not quite right.

After a few miles, the EML came on and I returned the car back to the garage (where I was handed the keys to a lovely bright yellow Honda Jazz courtesy car!!!)

It was checked today at a Nissan garage and I have been told that the oil temp sensor is faulty. It is being fixed tomorrow am and I am collecting tomorrow pm.

So, I am hoping that it is just one of those things and everything will be fine on collection and I haven't bought a 'pig in a poke'......we will see?

Collected my 370 tonight, they had to replace the engine oil temperature sensor?

Car seems good, no EML, oil temp gauge is now behaving and most importantly the car is responding as it should, so happy days!!

• Like 1