tyres for track

Zedrush

Hi all am going to get some new tyres all round for my 18 original rays alloys (for track and winter) that come with the car, just looking at tyre set up for these, I know the rear is 8.5 wide and fronts are 8, just wondering if this size will be okay?

225/35/18 front and 245/35/18 rear, kinda want low profiles as dont want wheels swallowed up look :blush:

You need to be a little careful with the overall rolling radius if you are going lower profile on the same size wheels. It will play about with the speed you are doing vs indicated speed in the car.

hmm so what profile would you suggest oem size?

Without knowing the exact science, I would initially say the same as OEM.

I guess it doesn't matter if you are driving to the track on other wheels and changing to these when you get there. But if you are driving to a track on them, you will be going a bit slower (sure there is a formula out there to say how much!) than the speedo indicates. :)

Someone like Kev might be able to help since he's a track regular.

Go OEM size.

Also new tyres are no good for track. They will over heat due to the amount of movement of the tread blocks. Once over heated they will breakdown and chucks will fall out. Get some part worn. The best are the barely legal ones. If you must buy new get the tread ground down or better still go for the track orientated tyres such as Yokohama Advan A048's or Toyo R888's. These are designed for track or fast road use, are super sticky and will not overheat as they have minimal thread grooves.

My Exige has A048's fitted as standard.

Go OEM size.

Also new tyres are no good for track. They will over heat due to the amount of movement of the tread blocks. Once over heated they will breakdown and chucks will fall out. Get some part worn. The best are the barely legal ones. If you must buy new get the tread ground down or better still go for the track orientated tyres such as Yokohama Advan A048's or Toyo R888's. These are designed for track or fast road use, are super sticky and will not overheat as they have minimal thread grooves.

My Exige has A048's fitted as standard.

All Excellent advice :thumbs: