How to fit an ES rear Valance - More pics Added

zebedy

Just a quickie to highlight to you guys the process involved in fitting one of these or even a different model vallance, the method is basically the same for all.

Take the bolts off from the underside of the bumper and the two toggle push plugs and the bolts next to the rear quarters where the bumper bolts onto the quarters. Keep the bolts under the lights.

DSC_1261_zpskmztfuac.jpg

so next was to dry fit the bumper vallance and mark with the sharpie the rough outline

DSC_1223_zpsbijxc57l.jpg

looking at your OEM bumper determine the contact points for bonding. Here Ive just scribbled some lines on where the bonding agent will go.

DSC_1259_zpsuz8ifsjv.jpg

I use two products always. Tiger seal or Sikaflex and Fibrafill or Upol P40.

DSC_1260_zpsmnze7bqs.jpg

The fibrafill is 2 pack so you mix it with a hardner. What I do sometimes is mix it with some filler for it to go further.

DSC_1260_zpsmnze7bqs.jpg

so basically more hardner, the quicker it all sets, use less and you have more time to fettle and move things into position.

DSC_1270_zps1mi9fcz0.jpg

Filler, fibrafill and hardner

Next, you need balls of steel. Lol. Attack the OEM bumper with my trusty ol grinder. Just scribe in some lines for a key for the tiger seal and p40

DSC_1265_zpsfoa2eci4.jpg

DSC_1266_zpslvoxxarh.jpg

Next I only use Texscrews. Self Drilling screws with spread washers. Get these on the ready. Offer the vallance onto the oem bumper, prop something underneath, then screw a few in to hold it in place.

DSC_1262_zpsvvrymxvm.jpg

As you can see, the screws are all in throughout the bonding area and the upper edge where the transition is between the vallance and the oem bumper.

DSC_1262_zpsvvrymxvm.jpg

DSC_1272_zpspdtde6mo.jpg

Leave to set for 24 hrs, then take out the screws and fill over. I only use UPOL FANTASTIC for this. Again 2 pack with a hardner. I use this because it goes on like cream and sands really easy.

DSC_1269_zps1ewedjei.jpg

As you can see, the first lot of filler has been applied to blend in the upper to the lower. Blending in on this one takes no more that 2 to 3 inches so plrety easy to do.

DSC_1273_zps92wggrcv.jpg

DSC_1277_zpstrqegw8j.jpg

DSC_1274_zps4vapvij6.jpg

DSC_1276_zps5uyamjdc.jpg

DSC_1275_zpsxutkvoc8.jpg

This first layer will be quite thick and will need longer to dry. About 2 hrs last night. You can use a hairdryer / heater to speed things up if needed.

Then sand all back and apply a thinner layer of filler, feathering it in on the oem bumber.

This is as far as Ive got, until tonight, when I hope itll be completed. I'll post more up tomorrow,

Edited by ZZZebady
  • Like 1