350Z to Jag XJR ?

J4CKO

Yeah supercharged hence sounding like a Spitfire and having different pulleys ;)

Its a massive car and heavy over 1800kgs , his is around 400hp and pretty much on par with a 350z i reckon

P1000062_zpsb9ebcf8b.jpg

Surely, even with a bit more weight a 400 bhp jag would outdrag a standard 350Z ?

The Jag does sixty in 5 and 100 in under 12, not massively different but surely noticeably so.

It's only when you get to the bigger speeds that more power counts. Below that there's nowt in it.

Get above the ton and see the difference :)

Makes sense, have to say my zed doesnt feel that fast after a 100, but then that isnt something I do that often as its not a great idea for ones license !

Will weigh in and say I totally agree with Ekona re powerful cars feeling faster over 100. His 6er definitely did, and my old Tubby Zed did too. On a certain track I would wager that both cars were close to the highest top speeds down the back straight even though every man and his Nova was catching up in the tighter corners!

But my old Zed...Despite being 100bhp and 130lbft up on a standard Zed, there wasn't *that* much noticeable difference below 70 or so. (Although I reckon I'd have the edge on an Astra VXR :boxing: )

At higher speeds and into 4th gear it was just ridiculous though. A massive slug of midrange torque and the extra power meant you could get well into three figures with frightening ease. Your Astra VXR would think he was going backwards once I got into 4th...

Was similar with Ekona's 911 and my Zed too. I was running a lower tune and about 330 ish bhp and 320 ish torque. The turbo torque helped and at lower speeds I had no trouble keeping up (I'm not even sure if I was slightly out-accelerating the 911 in 2nd at points) but as soon as we got to higher speeds he began to disappear.

As for Jags... DO IT! I had an S-type 4.2 V8 (the better engine) and it was just fantastic. Cornered with the precision of an aircraft carrier, but was so comfortable and the interior quality (cream leather heated armchairs and walnut veneer) was on another level compared to a lot of cars I've been in. It was just SO plush. Wasso came and machine polished the car and it looked positively regal afterwards.

The 300bhp V8 and auto box were creamy smooth, but it had torque in spades and could really, really shift if you wanted it to. Didn't sound half bad either and the whole car would wobble if you revved the V8 at idle. Awesome.

Just a shame that the electrics were dodgy, the boot filled with water and the fuel economy was measure in Gallons per Mile rather than the other way round. Brakes were strong, but when you had to step on them hard the wallowy mass behind you would sort of sway and swerve about like an aircraft undertaking a bumpy landing.

• Like 1

Will weigh in and say I totally agree with Ekona re powerful cars feeling faster over 100. His 6er definitely did, and my old Tubby Zed did too. On a certain track I would wager that both cars were close to the highest top speeds down the back straight even though every man and his Nova was catching up in the tighter corners!

But my old Zed...Despite being 100bhp and 130lbft up on a standard Zed, there wasn't *that* much noticeable difference below 70 or so. (Although I reckon I'd have the edge on an Astra VXR :boxing: )

At higher speeds and into 4th gear it was just ridiculous though. A massive slug of midrange torque and the extra power meant you could get well into three figures with frightening ease. Your Astra VXR would think he was going backwards once I got into 4th...

Was similar with Ekona's 911 and my Zed too. I was running a lower tune and about 330 ish bhp and 320 ish torque. The turbo torque helped and at lower speeds I had no trouble keeping up (I'm not even sure if I was slightly out-accelerating the 911 in 2nd at points) but as soon as we got to higher speeds he began to disappear.

As for Jags... DO IT! I had an S-type 4.2 V8 (the better engine) and it was just fantastic. Cornered with the precision of an aircraft carrier, but was so comfortable and the interior quality (cream leather heated armchairs and walnut veneer) was on another level compared to a lot of cars I've been in. It was just SO plush. Wasso came and machine polished the car and it looked positively regal afterwards.

The 300bhp V8 and auto box were creamy smooth, but it had torque in spades and could really, really shift if you wanted it to. Didn't sound half bad either and the whole car would wobble if you revved the V8 at idle. Awesome.

Just a shame that the electrics were dodgy, the boot filled with water and the fuel economy was measure in Gallons per Mile rather than the other way round. Brakes were strong, but when you had to step on them hard the wallowy mass behind you would sort of sway and swerve about like an aircraft undertaking a bumpy landing.

All of which is why you should get the STR (or an XJR). It's like Jaguar got hold of the standard V8 and said "right, let's sort this thing out, money no object". I also ran an E39 M5 for several years and people will tell you the M5 is unbeatable. I prefer my Jag.

Kind of erring on a Merc CLS at the moment, the 2006 on 5.5 V8 as it has more power and avoids some of the issues, the one I was coveting seems to have gone, was a good price, nice spec and colour but there is always another.

Not sure what my Zed is worth, 2007 GT 296 convertible with just short of 40k on, well serviced, previous owner had it in at Nissan, I do my own, only done 8k miles with me and its had the oil done twice, gearbox oil, brakes all round and a new battery. It has a full Cobra cat back, throttle controller but is otherwise mechanically standard, I also replaced the OEM stereo with a Kenwood Double din unit with USB, Bluetooth etc. It runs perfectly, no creaks or rattles, engine is spot on, just fancy a change. It isnt perfect, few parking dinks on the passenger door and the wheels , though they look of could do with a refurb if being fussy.Interior is pretty much perfect. Everything works.

What should I expect to get for that, allowing for a bit of cosmetic work to make perfect ?